How to clean dirty external filter been sitting in basement.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fishguy2

Reaction score
I have washed it all down from dust ect and bathed in hot water scrubbed down but I can't help but think it's still full of bacteria because I did clean it when I put it down their what is the best way to clean the external filter and heater

Clean with white vinegar and hot tap water

If it's been stored a long time, the seals may be dry rotted, though

Bleach solution. Bleach kills pretty much everything. And the best part is chlorine evaporates., So if you let equipment dry completely, it wil be safe. Folks do not belive me what I say the tank solution I use most is bleach.

I bleach dip plants.
I bleach algae covered equipment.
I run bleach through dirty hoses.
I bleach used tanks when I get them.
I bleach everything in an H. tank when it is done being used.
I do a 24 hour bleach dip in a 25% solution on the H.O.T. Magnum micron cartrigdes.

Anything I bkeach and need to return to a tank immediately I give a good rins and then I put it into a bucket with too much dechlor to be sure and then I rinse it again before it goes into the tank. But I have a private well and I never use dechlor in it. So I can rinse under my tap and not be worried.

Also, as an FYI, when I get used tanks or equipment which has that nasty whie build up on it. I mix water and muriatic acid to remove it. Doing this means I am very careful as acid is dangerous if you do not know what you are doing. The most stubborn buildups often requires using full strength acid on a Q-tip. I always wear rubber gloves when I clean using and acid solution. I do not like th aroma of vinegar and I feel safe working with the acid which I also use to lower the pH in one tank.

I have washed it all down from dust ect and bathed in hot water scrubbed down but I can't help but think it's still full of bacteria because I did clean it when I put it down their what is the best way to clean the external filter and heater
Hello Fishguy. If I have gear from another tank, I take the piece apart and soak everything in a five gallon bucket of tap water and add a couple of tablespoons of aquarium salt to the water. I let everything stay in the bucket for a few days. Anything that would be bad for a tank won't be able to survive in such a high concentration of salt. After a few days, remove everything and rinse in clean tap water. The filter should be safe to use.

10 Tanks

Hello Fishguy. If I have gear from another tank, I take the piece apart and soak everything in a five gallon bucket of tap water and add a couple of tablespoons of aquarium salt to the water. I let everything stay in the bucket for a few days. Anything that would be bad for a tank won't be able to survive in such a high concentration of salt. After a few days, remove everything and rinse in clean tap water. The filter should be safe to use.

10 Tank

I have a large bag of pond salt I will use that instead of bleach much easier thanks for advise

Woul

10 Tanks
Would this kill mold I have thrown the sponges away they looks alright but on the propeller cover this was a little bit of mold will salt kill it or should I use bleach ? Thanks

Woul

Would this kill mold I have thrown the sponges away they looks alright but on the propeller cover this was a little bit of mold will salt kill it or should I use bleach ? Thanks
Hello again. The salt should kill any pathogen. You can inspect the pieces after they've been soaking for a few days and use an old toothbrush to clean off anything else.

10 Tanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back