How to breed kuhli loaches?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I have 27kuhli loaches in 5 gal tank, substrate is Fluval Shrimp soil.
Also It’s over stocked because my LFS breed them and give all of them to me because they dont want all of em, soo...uh....I can’t stop myself from that....now they’re all grown up to full size (3.5 inches)
2644084C-C13F-405B-9664-B313945A92AC.jpeg
451F9DFB-74F2-4F0D-8C43-15AB0A9CBF07.jpeg
675F8F53-7006-4100-9FC3-F1D0640D5681.jpeg
61DBC612-E405-4BEF-BBEF-E34C9DC8F068.jpeg
E60BD757-D57B-4725-B8C1-215C9B322D2B.jpeg
18B776DD-A36D-4646-A0F5-45C3C58A8369.jpeg

any idea how to breed them? @Colin_T @primsloaches16 @AdoraBelle Dearheart

I've never bred khuli loaches or anything like them, so have no useful advice.

But you actually have 27 kuhli loaches in about 3.5 - 4 gallons of water, since the tank isn't filled to the top and has substrate.

You do have a choice about drastically overstocking your tanks. You don't have to accept all the ones they give you, and when your tank is already horribly overstocked, AND your fish store doesn't want baby kuhli loaches, trying to breed them and overcrowd them even more sounds like a terrible, cruel idea.

This is becoming a running theme with you, Barry. Tiny tanks, drastically overstocked. Why are you still doing it and wanted to breed more?? I know that you know better by now.

Why would you breed a fish already overstocked in your tank AND at your fish shop? I thought you were going to stop getting new stock & save for a bigger tank for your other tank with Plecos & jackknife & other fish terribly unsuited to the tank :-(

Like this just looks miserable for them. No attempt to improve the environment. I feel stupid for giving you benefit of doubt & defending you the last time you posted like this. I think you get a kick of the attention you get for keeping fish in bad set ups. I've zero patience for you.

Attachments

• 18B776DD-A36D-4646-A0F5-45C3C58A8369.jpeg
    18B776DD-A36D-4646-A0F5-45C3C58A8369.jpeg
    368.4 KB · Views: 175
Having been on this forum for quite some time now I can only assume you know that the reaction to this post wouldn't be great.

It's irresponsible to be keeping that many kuhlis in that small of a tank and even more responsible to be thinking of breeding them. Instead of breeding, try to rehome them all. 5 gallons is too small for pretty much anything other than a betta. If you find they get rehomed very quickly maybe in the future when you have a proper set up think about acquiring a few and breeding them.

Instead of taking on these new fish and new ventures, focus on fixing the tanks you already have now and sorting out your stock. It's irresponsible pet ownership to do anything but that. Saving for a bigger tank is only a valid excuse for a bit of time.

Now I'm not here to judge on Barry's aquarium or his choice of stocking, however, I do have something to say. For starters, I don't know much about Barry's previous aquariums or his stocking choices. However, I feel like we shouldn't assume that the kuhli loaches that he bought will stay in the 5-gallon aquarium for long. He could be housing the twenty-seven loaches as means of quarantine or grow them out. He probably doesn't have a large quarantine tank/growout tank or that the only tank he has for quarantine/growout is a 5-gallon. As for him asking for breeding, he could be breeding them in the future and is asking for suggestions in case he is interested in breeding them in the future.

However, I do agree that kuhli loaches will do much better in an aquarium that is larger than 5-gallons and that a 20 gallon long is the minimum for keeping a decent group.

Last edited:
Breeding kuhlis is rare in the hobby. Very few cases of it, actually.

This could be helpful

But I'd at least put them in a 20 gallon. I won't say anymore than has already been said :)

I don't see the point of putting them in 20 or even 40 gal to be honest

there was a time where I add kuhli loaches in 40 gal for about 4 months and they doesn't even do anything
I watch them at night time and they're still the same...do nothing sleeping in a cave where I put my algae wafer in
It's like this everynight till I get my 5 gal and put em all in there.

Cool fun, love a challenge. I got close, had eggs infertile, it is possible. Make sure your tank faces the morning sun it needs to be struck by the first rays of light. Lower the water level to only about 4 inches. Keep them cool 25 degrees. Heavily plant the surface forget about the base of the tank. Feed them on Tubifex worms or similar. The females will become extended in the belly and green as the eggs form. Raise the temperature about 3 degrees. Wait for a pressure rise, do a 25% water change with cold water, in the evening. Cross your fingers. Keep in touch.

Cool fun, love a challenge. I got close, had eggs infertile, it is possible. Make sure your tank faces the morning sun it needs to be struck by the first rays of light. Lower the water level to only about 4 inches. Keep them cool 25 degrees. Heavily plant the surface forget about the base of the tank. Feed them on Tubifex worms or similar. The females will become extended in the belly and green as the eggs form. Raise the temperature about 3 degrees. Wait for a pressure rise, do a 25% water change with cold water, in the evening. Cross your fingers. Keep in touch.
So um is 5 gal okay?

It is big enough. What you want to do is reduce the numbers down. Select say 2 or 3 females and run them with say 5 males. Sort of

Honestly if yours are only hiding and not coming out, theyre stressed. Offer more hiding places, leaf litter especially. Stressed fish won't breed.

Put them in a bigger tank and give them more things to feel comfortable in. The more places they have to shelter, the more confident they are.

Okay I just clear my 20 gal tank, how many kuhli can I put in there? 27 of em?

Also there's 5 Rosy Barb's inside the 20 gal

The only things that bugged me right now is you guys trying to be rude to me, just type it kindly my friends and I will think about it too, don't judge just teach, my friends @AdoraBelle Dearheart @NCaquatics @AilyNC

Last edited:
Okay I just clear my 20 gal tank, how many kuhli can I put in there? 27 of em?

Also there's 5 Rosy Barb's inside the 20 gal

The only things that bugged me right now is you guys trying to be rude to me, just type it kindly my friends and I will think about it too, don't judge just teach, my friends @AdoraBelle Dearheart @NCaquatics @AilyNC
You knew what you were doing Barry, that's why your OP said you knew it was overstocked and tried to claim it wasn't your fault.

I didn't come here to berate you, I came here because you tagged me in the first place, and again now. I'm not going to pretend it's fine to keep stuffing way too many fish into too small tanks, I'm just not. So I suggest not tagging me anymore.

I said it kindly, I was not rude :huh:
Plus gave you answers to the question you asked.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back