How tall does Java Fern get?

Olive

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Is it possible for it to reach the top (or near it) of my standard 55 gallon? Do they grow fast?

I have some, had them for about 3 months. One is starting to make little shoots off of the ends of the leaves........which is making me wonder! I really need some good background plants........could those do it for me???

I read somewhere that they max out at about 12 inches. My taller one has grown from about 4 inches to a good 7 inches in less than six weeks. A friend of mine has the largest ones I've ever seen: a good 10 inches high and more than that wide and deep.

Susan

susangc said:
I read somewhere that they max out at about 12 inches. My taller one has grown from about 4 inches to a good 7 inches in less than six weeks. A friend of mine has the largest ones I've ever seen: a good 10 inches high and more than that wide and deep.

Susan
Wow, so that is pretty big.....that might work for me.........I don't need it as tall as the tank persey, just need it to be taller than my short plants........and to cover up the dang heaters........ :D

Is it possible for it to reach the top (or near it) of my standard 55 gallon? Do they grow fast?

In my experience, the answers are "yes, and no".

I've got a few leaves that reach close to the top of an 18" tall tank, but those leaves were pretty big when I bought them. Of all the plantlets I've had in the last six months or so, I don't think any leaf has gotten bigger than about 4".

about 10 inches... yeh they hav big leaves so they can hide wires and stuff. iv hidden my filter with one

There is no simple answer to that. There are numerous cultivars, some grow larger then others, Microsorum pteropus var. 'Tropica' can grow to 18"/450mm which is probably the biggest. Most only grow to about 8"/200mm though. All are rather slow growing.

The plant produces small adventive plantlets on the ends of old leaves, that is probably what you are seeing. There is a cultivar, Microsorum pteropus var 'Windeløv', which has extensions on the ends of the leaves, so that is also a possibility, but is usually quite obvious.

Ive always found Javas to be slow growing, but in the mean time if you want to hide anything quickly try any of the "wart" family they grow like wildfire ans say something like pannywart will easy grow near to the surface, nice looking plant to, plenty of small lillypad like leaves :D

franky said:
Ive always found Javas to be slow growing, but in the mean time if you want to hide anything quickly try any of the "wart" family they grow like wildfire ans say something like pannywart will easy grow near to the surface, nice looking plant to, plenty of small lillypad like leaves :D
pannywort? what does that look like?

Most reactions

Back