How Often Shud I Clean My Filter Out?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mark1973

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have a fluval u2 filter in my 60l tank. ive had it running about a month,how often shud i clean it all out inside filter, i know to clean it in tank water,not tap water, also i took my pump out of the tank,and using the top outlet of the filter for air bubbles in tank, is that okay? i have the fluval u23 filter so the water comes out the top,at full flow,is that the right setting. im new to this fish keeping so kn ow little, thanks

only clean the filter media in aquarium water, the rest can be cleaned with sof detergent or notmal tapwater as these do not carry any filter bacteria

i would suggest the filter may not meet the requirements of that tank btw

EDIT:I forgot what brand u were using

Only clean in tank water, give it a quick shake in the water youre going to discard when you do a water change.

Dont change the sponges like most manufacturers suggest, they last years :)

Are you cycling or are you fully cycled?
What is the stocking of your tank?

Also Blubble, what are you on about? U2's are rated up to 110L... And you should NEVER use soaps or anything like that on something thats going to be in a tank.

As you have separate sponges in that filter, you will be able to alternate the cleaning of them - so you don't have to clean all of them at the same time.

You will know when to clean them because the output flow of water will begin to reduce. Never over-clean them, either, as you can do more harm than good. Just a light swish to remove excess debris/gunk is enough. You don't need to thoroughly wring them out till they are spotless and you don't have to clean them every week. It will all depend on how many fish you have, how much you feed them and how much waste they produce as to how quickly the sponges will clog up.

I would say that as you've only got a 60l tank, this filter is fine - it suits a tank up to 110l, according to the manufacturer, and is rated as one of the best internals.

Regards, Athena

Also Blubble, what are you on about? U2's are rated up to 110L... And you should NEVER use soaps or anything like that on something thats going to be in a tank.

I forgot which manufacturer when i was posting :S

I hardly ever use detergent (when i do it is so weak that i might as well be using water) but i wash the casing out about 10 times before putting it back in the tank

theres only one that makes the u2?

And it doesnt matter, you shouldnt use it, just incase you miss one bit.

Also, the filter casing doesnt need to be washed, everything in your tank develops a biofilm, this is when the tank is described as mature, and its good for fish to graze on occasionally.

only clean the filter media in aquarium water, the rest can be cleaned with sof detergent or notmal tapwater as these do not carry any filter bacteria

when i went to the shop ,i said i had a60l tank ,so he said get the fluval u2 coz its supposed to be from 50l to 110l of water, i hope it is big enough,what do u think, do u think i shud get bigger 1, i only bought my filter 3 weeks ago though, thanks for help

Only clean in tank water, give it a quick shake in the water youre going to discard when you do a water change.

im confused is my filter big enough?

i have 4 neons 2 corys,3 platys ,2harleguins,5 zebras. im new to this ,what is media. is it the spong in the filter or the box in filter with, thelittle balls in it,

As you have separate sponges in that filter, you will be able to alternate the cleaning of them - so you don't have to clean all of them at the same time.

You will know when to clean them because the output flow of water will begin to reduce. Never over-clean them, either, as you can do more harm than good. Just a light swish to remove excess debris/gunk is enough. You don't need to thoroughly wring them out till they are spotless and you don't have to clean them every week. It will all depend on how many fish you have, how much you feed them and how much waste they produce as to how quickly the sponges will clog up.

I would say that as you've only got a 60l tank, this filter is fine - it suits a tank up to 110l, according to the manufacturer, and is rated as one of the best internals.

Regards, Athena
thankyou, i will do that, change 1 spong 1 day and the other 1 another day ,thanks for your help,im learning

im fully cycled ,i took sum water from tank to my lfs and they said it was fine, thanks for your help i appreciate it :good:

Your filter is fine, and of a pretty good flow rate for a tank of volume 60L.
thankyou :good:

[/quote]
thankyou, i will do that, change 1 spong 1 day and the other 1 another day ,thanks for your help,im learning
[/quote]

Erm, not exactly LOL - what I meant was, let's say you end up having to clean your filter sponge once every 3 weeks (just suppose), so the first time you do it, just clean one sponge (you don't ever replace these sponges with new sponges as they should last for years, only when they fall apart should you put a new one in with a part of the old one). Then 3 weeks later when it's due another clean, do a different sponge etc

My filter sponges only need cleaning about once a month, but everyone's circumstances are different. Like I said, don't clean it out just for the sake of it, clean it when it needs it, when you notice a drop in the water output flow.

Also, not sure if you realised it but your filter has optional water output flows (top/middle/bottom). It should explain it fully on the booklet that came with it. It's also fully adjustable so that you can reduce the rate of flow (e.g. if it's too turbulant).

Some fish like fast moving, noisy water, others prefer quiet, trickling waters.

Oh I noticed you said your tank was cycled (you took a water sample to be checked at your LFS) - but what method of cycling did you do? It's just that if your tank hasn't been cycled correctly, you might find problems ahead with your fish getting sick or even deaths.

Regards, Athena

Regards, Athena

Regards, Athena
nice posts, covering the whole thing well. :good:

why on earth would you use a detergent? I would suggest its something to be avoided. as well as being unnecessary.

@OP. just how, as has been asked, did you cycle the tank?
to this end, could you post your water stats. you should have all the gear if you have finished your cycle. as its, almost, impossible to cycle without testing personally.

Why does my filter always reek? I change it more than twice a month. I'll change it, then the next morning it will smell awful again. Why?

"i have 4 neons 2 corys,3 platys ,2harleguins,5 zebras. im new to this ,what is media. is it the spong in the filter or the box in filter with, thelittle balls in it,"

You're filter isn't going to be cycled in 3 weeks, so these fish are in danger. Have you read up on cycling your filter? If not, it's too late now, so please read up on fish-in cycling here. You'll need to be doing daily water changes with warm, dechlorinated water to ensure your levels stay normal. I would also suggest investing in a liquid test kit so you can test your levels at home and see when your filter starts cycling.

Also, your stocking isn't very good. Neons and harlequins usually do good in groups of 6 or more, and harlequins can grow to 5cm and so aren't suited to a 60L at all. Cories also need to be in a shoal of at least six, and should ideally be on sand else they might damage their barbels and then they could get infected. The platies should be okay, but make sure you have 2 females and a male, otherwise the males may harass the females to death.

Why does my filter always reek? I change it more than twice a month. I'll change it, then the next morning it will smell awful again. Why?
What do you mean by 'change it'? Can you attempt to describe the smell; I know it's not easy, but have a go, it would help :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back