How Often Shud I Clean My Filter Out?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I have a Fluval U3 in my 60 litre lol. Better to be safe than sorry, but I have taken one filter pad out (of 4) in order to fit in my Softener pillow.

About forty people on here already told me that about the bala,i'm working on it. Not to be rude but I didn't ask if I should re-home fish, I asked if was feeding them enough. About the Discus, i have done a lot of research and each discus needs 10g of space... Could u guys just answer the questions and not tell me to get rid of fish, Thanks. :good:

About forty people on here already told me that about the bala,i'm working on it. Not to be rude but I didn't ask if I should re-home fish, I asked if was feeding them enough. About the Discus, i have done a lot of research and each discus needs 10g of space... Could u guys just answer the questions and not tell me to get rid of fish, Thanks. :good:

You should only ever clean your filter out in old tankwater. Also only clean it out when the outflow has slowed considerably, once every 4 months or so for me.

This is the "friendliest fish forum around", the members where just giving you advice, weather you take it or not is up to you, maybe you didnt mean to be rude, but you where.

I did already answer the question. Yes one block is far too much. Also you should be feeding either flakes or pellets, as frozen food is very fatty and doesn't contain any real nutrients.

A small pinch of dried food a day is plenty with one day fasting

The thing is (and a lot of n00bs on here recently seem to be forgetting or ignoring this fact)all these things are inter-related

Even if you're feeding the correct amount for the fish you have; if you have too many fish, your fish are too big, the tank is too small or your filtration or water changes are inadequate, all these things will impact your tank.

There's no point asking if you can add fish to your tank if the ones already there are unsuitable for the tank or their tankmates.
If you have a new tank coming for the 'difficult' fish, then ask about stocking or whatever once they have been re-homed.

Aquariums are a balancing act; its a waste of time asking about stocking, or filtration, or pH in isolation; they all have to work in harmony with each other.

If someone asked, "why does my baby cry when it's dirtied its nappy? I keep it in a drawer and give it one cup of water a day", is it ok to reply "change its nappy"?
Of course it isn't.

It's the same with fish. We on this site are passionate about fish, and if we see problems looming on the horizon, we will mention them, even if they're not related to the original question

+3

you dont keep fish to sell them and make money out of their cramped tanks, you do it because you want to and you like doing it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back