How Often Should I Change The Water?

ahhahaa, that's partly why too, I have a small container that I use for water changes (to put in the new water) and I don't always feel like running back and forth to the sink so many times :p
Maybe I should just get a larger container LOL

ahhahaa, that's partly why too, I have a small container that I use for water changes (to put in the new water) and I don't always feel like running back and forth to the sink so many times :p
Maybe I should just get a larger container LOL

I use a brand new 5 gallon bucket from Lowe's, the type that they sell spackle mud in. They cost $5 or so. Then I use a smaller container to gently add the water to the tank, like you're bailing the water out of a boat! It stresses the fish out less & it doesn't kick up the sand substrate I have either.

Bully!

No really, by the end of the week Zach's tank is usally down about 2 inches from the top and why top it off when I'm doing a water change anyway? He has the type of light fixture that has clamps instead of just little feet. Which means you can't use it with a hood or glass top. I guess the reason is because then in theory you can flip the light up. You can't flip the light up because the hang on back filter is in the way. I plan to modify it sooner rather than later for this reason. I'll cut off the clamps leaving just the feet & I'll secure the flip up things so they don't flip anymore.

Bully!

No really, by the end of the week Zach's tank is usally down about 2 inches from the top and why top it off when I'm doing a water change anyway? He has the type of light fixture that has clamps instead of just little feet. Which means you can't use it with a hood or glass top. I guess the reason is because then in theory you can flip the light up. You can't flip the light up because the hang on back filter is in the way. I plan to modify it sooner rather than later for this reason. I'll cut off the clamps leaving just the feet & I'll secure the flip up things so they don't flip anymore.

lol I lose a ton of water when I go open top too, but in my 10g I keep it topped off just because the water volume is so much smaller then my big tanks. I need a light fixture like that for my aquascaping tank {future tank, that is}

Yeah, ah well. The fish seem pretty happy, except the male platy keeps chasing around a poor female and she keeps hiding -_- I'll definitely do a water change when I get back though :)

Thank you! :lol:

Just read though most of the thread, and trust my you're not the only one who enjoys water changes. Its probably a thing to most new tank owners since its sorta the closest hands on thing to do with the fish besides feeding them. As for the male chasing around the female hes probably trying to fertilize her. Platies are live bearers so you won't see any eggs anywhere the female just "poops" them out. So if you see your female huge don't be surprised xD. If you get into breeding them you can look at this for more info its been a great help: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/253113-how-to-know-if-your-livebearers-ready-to-drop-fry-updated-150412/

If you ever get around to upgrading your tank make sure you have more females than males if you're going to keep platies or any live bearing fish like mollies etc. So this way the male has more females to chase around and it doesn't stress out the female, the rule that I've read is 3-4 females for each male. Platies are the rabbits of the ocean world xD. My blue platy just had 23 baby fry couple days ago. They have babies each month and the mommy and daddy don't look at their babies like children rather a snack :/. I've witness my fish eat a couple fry that I haven't had a chance to collect out of tank. Usually put them in a breeder but sometimes I let them do it all natural so I don't get engorged in fry xD.

You're doing a great job from what I've read, my dad had a fish tank when he was young about 30ish years ago and he didn't really use all those fancy things we have now so its really fun buying things with him and showing them how they help caring for fish. It's really fun and my dad enjoys it a bunch. Though at time we do have our disagreements too.

Here is a picture of some of my older fry about 2 weeks ago the mash net is a little dirty but I cleaned it soon after I actually saw the picture that up close xD.
imag0116ol.jpg

Aw, those are really cute :)) yea, I heard they have lots of babies but I'm not sure if I will save them if they do have babies (... that sounds cruel....) since I don't have another tank or anything to keep them in :( Plus, my 10 gallon would be way too small for them.

Although, I think it would be interesting to have fry and watch them grow :) Perhaps when one of them does get pregnant, I'll go out and buy a bigger tank.

I read a few articles/threads about platys and livebearers, and I know for sure that the fish chasing the others is male but some of them I can't really tell if they're male or female by their anal fin.... x.x There's definitely at least 2+ females though. but as of now, I think they've calmed down since the female fish isn't hiding anymore :)

haha, when I do water changes and I put my hand in the tank, all the fish come and try to eat my hand. It's cute :)

Its all natural if they eat their babies, look at the bright side you won't have to worry about feeding them that day xD. Heres a picture of one of my female platy you can see how she has that fin that looks like a triangle that's usually what you look for. Whereas for the males in replace for that triangle fin males just have like a little stick sticking out xD.
imag0112w.jpg

some of mine do have like the triangular shaped fin (but it's really small) but then sometimes you can't really see clearly when they're swimming about and it looks like uh, a stick LOL.

Yeah you have to usually wait until the female gets relaxed. It just falls out if you just keep following the fish around as it swims you can usually see it.

Yeah you have to usually wait until the female gets relaxed. It just falls out if you just keep following the fish around as it swims you can usually see it.

In that case then, I think I have more females than males :)

Nice! Females won't be so stressed then :p. You'll probably have more fry now though xD. For the most part the fish will probably just eat the fry as they come out. Only the smart fry will run for the hills and survive they usually go and hide inside the gravel for me when they are out there. I see them through the edges of the glass that hits the gravel :lol: .

Nice! Females won't be so stressed then :p. You'll probably have more fry now though xD. For the most part the fish will probably just eat the fry as they come out. Only the smart fry will run for the hills and survive they usually go and hide inside the gravel for me when they are out there. I see them through the edges of the glass that hits the gravel :lol: .

Haha, I don't think I will stand seeing the poor fry being eaten though :( But we'll see! None of them are pregnant at the moment.... I think..... they only show after a couple of weeks right?

Most reactions

Back