How Often Do You Clean Your Internal Filter?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SamUK

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Addingham, West Yorks (Near Leeds/Bradford)
Jus been told you should only clean your internal filter once every month+ and ive been doing it once a week for the past year of my fish keeping life.

when i say clean i mean fill a bowl with aquarium water and squeeze the filter pads to get all the crap out.

im only making the thread cos i cant believe ive been doing it so much lol.

Jus been told you should only clean your internal filter once every month+ and ive been doing it once a week for the past year of my fish keeping life.

when i say clean i mean fill a bowl with aquarium water and squeeze the filter pads to get all the crap out.

we live and learn lol.
i tend to clean the fine filter once a week, changing it every two weeks. i clean the other sections one at a time with a two week split. i never do more than one thing at a time.

we live and learn lol.
i tend to clean the fine filter once a week, changing it every two weeks. i clean the other sections one at a time with a two week split. i never do more than one thing at a time.

so you did it basically as often as me then?

i only had one thing to change cos my filters arent that posh.

I just changed mine today after about 6 months. I knew it was time because the bio wheels weren't turning any more, since the water was going over the overflow instead of through the filter pads :unsure:

My internal filters have several filter sponges and a thin layer of filter floss at the top. I used to change the filter floss every week but now rinse it out every other week, and then change it the next. As for the sponges, I clean one at a time, making sure they all get a rinse once a month. I haven't changed any sponges yet in 18 months (but I have removed the carbon sponges and replaced with ordinary). I occasionally take the sponges out and do a bit of a gravel vac in the filter box.

When I had internal filters - definitley once a week - sponge rinse / white filter floss replacement and external clean. And I also always cleaned the impellor shaft and made sure that was free of sludge. Once a month - no waaaaayyyyzzzz ! :lol:

I clean any filter when the flow rate starts to drop form them. Generally speaking it's once a monthish, but most of our tanks have multiple filters and are overfilteed so even if one needs doing the other should be OK. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back