How often do I need to do water changes in a tank that's just been set up?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nathanm

Reaction score
It better not be daily, heard someone say that now I'm worried. It's gonna be planted if that makes a difference.

If the tank has been cycled, and you gradually add fish, and do not overstock or the fish are not excessive waste producers - Once per week, or two, should suffice as a rule of thumb.

As you are stocking up, you may need more frequent changes, depending on your water parameters.

But if the tank is not cycled you should do.more than a 50% water change daily...

If the tank has been cycled, and you gradually add fish, and do not overstock or the fish are not excessive waste producers - Once per week, or two, should suffice as a rule of thumb.

As you are stocking up, you may need more frequent changes, depending on your water parameters.

I should've been more clear. What I meant was if there are lots of nutrients in the tank from aqua soil will I need to do water changes very often as the tank isn't cycled yet so the plants aren't growing very much so not using the nutrients and I want to prevent as much algae as possible? At least I think that's what I meant.

Sorry it's wordy

I should've been more clear. What I meant was if there are lots of nutrients in the tank from aqua soil will I need to do water changes very often as the tank isn't cycled yet so the plants aren't growing very much so not using the nutrients and I want to prevent as much algae as possible? At least I think that's what I meant.

Sorry it's wordy
Ah ok... So there are no fish... If you get enough plants they dhould soak up most of the nutrients in the soil... Just get fast growers like crypts and swords

Some "soils" are more organic than others, and herein is the problem. Excess ammonia is the major concern, though an excess of other nutrients may be problematic too. Assuming the tank is set up (planted), do not add fish until you can be certain that ammonia especially is not above zero. Normally, plants take up the ammonia produced by fish respiration and the breakdown of the organic matter in the substrate, and with a relatively good number of plants, including some fast growers (floating plants are best here), the ammonia will always read zero. But organic-laden "soil" can have more ammonia being released than the plants can handle, and if ammonia reads above zero, it may kill fish. Make sure ammonia is zero for consecutive days before adding any fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back