How Much Water Do You Fill Your Tank With?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ey2006

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was wondering how much space you should leave at the top of the tank, when filling it up?

My tank is 20" high (tall) and I fill the tank with water, leaving about 5" at the top. Is this too much?

I've seen other members tanks where only 1"-2" is left at the top.

Also, I have a canister filter and my water level is just below the filter outlet pipe, so the water sprays out through the little holes - should the water level be below or above the filter outlet pipe?

Thanks.

I fill mine so you can't see the water line, 2 of my tanks have a sort of shelfy bit at the top of them so I fill to just a little below that, which leaves 1-2 inches between the top of the water and the condensation tray's. The other tank I fill to just above where the hood comes down too, think it leaves about 3/4 inches but that's one without a condensation tray with them waterproof lights.

Don't think it matters particularly how full you get it so long as your heater and filter inlet is under the water level. The only thing to consider is if your tank is say 120l and your not filling it right up, then it might actually only be 100l of water in there, so you need to take that into consideration when you work out your stocking, or any medicines/dechlorinator etc you put in the water :)

i fill mine as far as i can.

by biggest tank has a lip round the edge and i fill to that.

and as miss wiggle says i hate it when you can see the waterline so i always keep it above the edge of the hood on the other tanks (cos they dont have a lip).

I fill my tank as much as I can. No water line to be seen. I have a 46G BF. Leaving 1" of water line could equate to losing 1-2 gallons of water. The greater the water volume, the better off your fish are. The 'solution to pollution is dilution.

EG...if you had my tank and didn't fill it all the way....say you had 40ppm nitrates at 44 gallons and you topped it up to 46..you're nitrates would fall to about 36ppm. SH

I fill my tank as much as I can. No water line to be seen. I have a 46G BF. Leaving 1" of water line could equate to losing 1-2 gallons of water. The greater the water volume, the better off your fish are. The 'solution to pollution is dilution.

EG...if you had my tank and didn't fill it all the way....say you had 40ppm nitrates at 44 gallons and you topped it up to 46..you're nitrates would fall to about 36ppm. SH

I also fill mine as high as I can get it. When there's a gap in the waterline, the light doesn't penetrate the surface as effectively and it reflects off the surface and all about, instead of going to the plants, who need it. So I fill it to the rim. :D It also cuts down on surface agitation, better for CO2 injection.

I just bought a 200 litre fish tank and it has a powerhead filter, spray bays etc. Im not sure if the filtered water shoots should be in the water or not at the minute I have the water level just below them

Many thanks

Ok thanks, think ill top it up then, its so boring with no fish in there yet lol.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back