How much to add?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

While I can't test chlorine, I will look on my water provider's site to see how much is in the water...

I have thought about different amounts of chlorine in different sources and wondered about the dechlorinators... But I thought the amount recommended on the bottle was an all around treatment for different amounts

While I can't test chlorine, I will look on my water provider's site to see how much is in the water...

I have thought about different amounts of chlorine in different sources and wondered about the dechlorinators... But I thought the amount recommended on the bottle was an all around treatment for different amounts
It's all an estimate based on the WHO safety advice for chlorinated drinking water.

So, if it takes 5 minutes to react the fish are swimming around in Chloramine/ Chlorine contaminated water for those 5 minutes. Surely the only safe method is to do what @Colin_T says.

Yah, usually I fill a bucket with tank water and take it very carefully to pour it in the yard... Then I fill up the tank using the garden hose. But I let it run for a few minutes before using.

It is a real shame your back is that bad at your age, I feel for you.
Thank you. Yah... It can be a struggle at times. Like one time I was helping a friend with his car one day, replacing the shocks and springs when all of a sudden, bam, my back just went out... Made me feel horrible. Because I want to help people but this slows me down. Lately I haven't gotten any really bad pains, but now its a constant dull ache... So sitting in a chair feels lovely lol. I stretch when I remember to but its just not something I remember until my back starts hurting again lol.

Thank you. Yah... It can be a struggle at times. Like one time I was helping a friend with his car one day, replacing the shocks and springs when all of a sudden, bam, my back just went out... Made me feel horrible. Because I want to help people but this slows me down. Lately I haven't gotten any really bad pains, but now its a constant dull ache... So sitting in a chair feels lovely lol. I stretch when I remember to but its just not something I remember until my back starts hurting again lol.
That is so sad, I have worked more than 40 years in physical jobs lifting up to 72kg at a time and have never had a back problem, I feel sorry for you as it limits what you can do for employment.

Yah, usually I fill a bucket with tank water and take it very carefully to pour it in the yard... Then I fill up the tank using the garden hose. But I let it run for a few minutes before using.
Why don't you hook the gravel cleaner up to the garden hose and gravel clean the tank water onto the lawn. Then remove the gravel cleaner and flush water through the garden hose for a few minutes. Then fill the tank.

If you do weights it can help strengthen and build the muscles around your back and reduce the chance of your back going out of alignment.

Not everyone will agree, but I follow the majority here--only add the amount of dechlorinator needed for the fresh water. If you add 10 gallons, then use the amount of dechlorinator for 10 gallons.

It is in my view a gimmick by manufacturers to get you to use double what is needed--and thus buy more dechlorinator and pay them more money--when they advise to use sufficient for the whole tank. Why? The tank water has been dechlorinated, so there is no necessity to do it again. The only possible justification would be if you are not sure of the volume of fresh water; erring on the side of caution can at least be defended, though one would hope the aquarist knows what they are doing better than this. But having said that, in my 30+ years of aquaria I have never done this.
That was the exact advice from my LFS when I first started keeping fish. Double tap dechlorinator lol

So, if it takes 5 minutes to react the fish are swimming around in Chloramine/ Chlorine contaminated water for those 5 minutes. Surely the only safe method is to do what @Colin_T says.
Only if you dumped in all the water at once. If the tap water is slowly added, the ppm of chlorine is negligible. As an example - If I add 1 gallon to 50 gallons of treated water, the chlorine level is 1/51th the level of the untreated gallon I added. In 5 min, it is now zero. Add another gallon, it is now 1/52nd, and so on till full. You can reduce the amounts added and time increments to zero where you are continuously adding water at a certain rate and get the same result. BTW, this is the essence of how Calculus works.

Last edited:
Why don't you hook the gravel cleaner up to the garden hose and gravel clean the tank water onto the lawn. Then remove the gravel cleaner and flush water through the garden hose for a few minutes. Then fill the tank.

If you do weights it can help strengthen and build the muscles around your back and reduce the chance of your back going out of alignment.
How do I "attach" the siphon to it? It has no connection point... It's just a regular python siphon. I usually just don't fill the bucket ALL the way and I use it to rinse off the sponge intake

That is so sad, I have worked more than 40 years in physical jobs lifting up to 72kg at a time and have never had a back problem, I feel sorry for you as it limits what you can do for employment.
Yah, it does... I plan on seeing a doctor about it some time... I want to work with animals, maybe even help explore wild habitats and see what new creatures there are to find

How do I "attach" the siphon to it? It has no connection point... It's just a regular python siphon. I usually just don't fill the bucket ALL the way and I use it to rinse off the sponge intake
Odd, my Python has a standard 3/4" Female hose connector at the tube end of the gravel vac.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back