How much flaring is too much?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

University of Miami did extensive research on Agonistic behavior of Betta Splendens and found out through courses of their studies that Bettas needed breaks after 5 solid minutes of flaring due to stress.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/dana/161/evolution/161_betta.pdf
Another basic concept to think about is the act of flaring in itself is not stressful, But the reason a Betta flares is caused by a stressful situation - where in he sees a male and feels his territory is threatened. If there are two male Bettaā€™s and neither one can retreat and their is no divider they will ultimately fight to the death. Sounds pretty stressful to me.

Okay, Okay, I give up. Was just trying to tickle your funny bone. You know what Colin? I've heard stories like that. That kind of stuff is way beyond just being a drag. I wouldn't wish it on an enemy and I am truly sorry if I have even slightly offended you.
But on a lighter note. Question: In long term marriages why, statistically, do the husbands die first? Answer: They want to.
But, and this is a big but, I don't know if I really believe that constant flaring in Bettas is all that bad. My experience tells me no.

I donā€™t know of any specific studies or statistics where flaring from stress caused shorter lifespans (although they may exist). I think one the main concerns are providing better lives for Bettaā€™s - that includes the most peaceful, stress free life that we as fish keepers can provide. Visibility of a tank mate that wants to kill them, isnā€™t a peaceful stress free life and that is why many people are providing options to block out visibility and try to assist the OP in minimizing the cause for their concerns. So although you mention that you donā€™t believe that flaring is bad, itā€™s not the act of flaring thats the issue. People are trying to assist in remedying the reason behind the act of the flaring - seeing the male on the other side of the divider. There are a lot of good options up there - love to see what you decide and how your Bettaā€™s do Briggan.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back