Organic matter - how much is too much

Beastije

Fish Addict
Reaction score
HI all. So I have a 25 liter tank with few shrimp and some indostomus fish. The fish is ready to breed based on behavior and thickness of the females, so I am curious how to increase the infusoria presence in the tank, without overwhelming it with too much organic matter/decomposition/ tannins.
I do only mild water changes, like 10% each week, to keep the shrimp stable and maybe a top off once a week, due to the recent heatwaves.
At this moment, the tank has: one piece of cholla wood (since november), 4 alder cones, 2 small moringa leaves, 3 small guava leaves (all freshly added in june when I moved the tank, previous leaves decomposed fully), around 15 bamboo tubes since february.
What I have at home that I could add are oak leaves, beech leaves, lotus pod. Few of the leaves I have in jars with water that are closed and submerged for months now, since I forgot them there. I know anaerobic bacteria is not what we want, but the slime on the leaves could work and the wet leave will decompose quicker. I could also wash them under tap water first. I am going to the store on sunday, they will be selling more cholla wood, some other leaves too, so I need to know what to buy and if.
Should I add some things and if so, how much, to not overdo it.

IMG-1231.JPG

Thanks

Most reactions

Back