How Many Times Per Hour Should The Tank Turnover?

Duzzy

Fish Crazy
Joined
Feb 1, 2008
Messages
281
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi there,

I was wondering how many time should the tank volume turnover in a heavily planted tank turn over? and when calculating this do i include the sump volume as well as the tank volume?

Regards Darren
 
The turn over rate is dependent on how much you are fertilising, which is dependent growth rates, which is dependent on light. Everything seems to lead back to light in a planted tank.

For my high light, EI dosed tanks I try to keep it at least x10. Just like the WPG, this can be vague because it is hard to gauge the output of a filter with all its flow restrictions such as filter media, inline CO2 reactors etc.

The whole issue of turn over rates is to get all the ferts to the four corners of the tank for maximum health and growth.

In my 60l I use a 700l/hr filter, and on my 240l I use 2 x 1200l/hr.

Try experimenting with the filter inlet and outlet positioning, too. Something else to remember is that the flow dynamics in the tank change with plant growth. Keep an eye out for dead spots where mulm may collect, or algae may thrive.

The turn over rate for your tank is dependent on that tank`s circumstances.

Dave.

EDIT: I have just noticed you have a sump. Sumps don`t go with planted tanks too well, as they will gas off CO2.
 
The general advice given is 4 I believe, but I think thats in reference to relatively straightforward community tanks with an internal or external filter.
 
Thanks Dave,

I am hoping to alleviate the co2 is by having an inline co2 diffuser on the inflow to disolve and replace that, that is lost via movement. Al though the surface movement will be minimal hopefully

Regards Darren

The turn over rate is dependent on how much you are fertilising, which is dependent growth rates, which is dependent on light. Everything seems to lead back to light in a planted tank.

For my high light, EI dosed tanks I try to keep it at least x10. Just like the WPG, this can be vague because it is hard to gauge the output of a filter with all its flow restrictions such as filter media, inline CO2 reactors etc.

The whole issue of turn over rates is to get all the ferts to the four corners of the tank for maximum health and growth.

In my 60l I use a 700l/hr filter, and on my 240l I use 2 x 1200l/hr.

Try experimenting with the filter inlet and outlet positioning, too. Something else to remember is that the flow dynamics in the tank change with plant growth. Keep an eye out for dead spots where mulm may collect, or algae may thrive.

The turn over rate for your tank is dependent on that tank`s circumstances.

Dave.

EDIT: I have just noticed you have a sump. Sumps don`t go with planted tanks too well, as they will gas off CO2.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top