How Many Tanks Is Sensible To Have?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I got a large tank to start but within 4 months ended up with 3 further tanks (freebies and cheap ones locally), by 8 months I had about 8 tanks running, after this christmas realised what a crazy person I was and downsized a few. Recently only having a upgraded large 100g thinking it would be enough but now have a 96 litre and 120 litre up and running with fish I just couldnt refuse. So after that ramble, currently 3 running and 2 small 5-10g spare to act as hospitals etc.

p.s. as to normal it is whatever you can handle and enjoy :good:

i have a strange 60 gal. it has goldfish, fire eels, angel fish, bala sharks and allsorts. they all get on great.
i also have a axolotl tank. Neville and no name yet :S
i have a small community tank
and 1/2 a litre tank for my 1 baby guppy i found. (that tank is supposed to be for bettas, but its a bit small)
george.

seriously i suspect a troll

I've never had more than 17 running in the house at the same time, but most were small for my betta's. Nowadays I have 3 tanks. My original tank of 15g, a 55g that I've had running for around 5 years and my 125g which replaced the 5ft they used to be in until last november. Next year I'm upgrading the 6ft to an 8ft and the 6ft will go to the 55g inhabitants and the 55g will be sold. Lol, 3 is enough whilst doing work and a degree and raising two kids. :rolleyes:
P.

The amount of sensible tanks to have is the total number you can safely manage without harming the fish or stressing yourself too much.

I had fish for almost 16 years without getting a second tank...then I discovered fire bellied newts and then this forum and now I have 3 more tanks :)

I started keeping fish about 15 months ago and caught a bad dose of MTS. Started off with livebearers, colourful but boring, then discovered cichlids...and plecs. Then started rescuing unwanted fish esp goldies to stop them fallng into the wrong hands. Within a few months I had 3 tanks and now have:
2x4ft coldwater; 1x4ft cichlid &plec;2x3ft community and plec/gourami;very large hex -corries and paradise fish;small endler breeding tank for fun. Plus lots of spare tanks for quaranteen/hospital/bullies.
Oops forgot the 7 (4adult, 3 babies)rescued turtles! That's another 1x3ft; 2x18in; plastic tub for feeding babies - must upgrade to at least another 4ft before winter sets in and I need to bring them all indoors!
Do water changes on all fish tanks weekly (aprox 2.5-3hrs) and every other day for turtles cos they're really messy.
PS: Don't tell the water company!

I started keeping fish about 15 months ago and caught a bad dose of MTS. Started off with livebearers, colourful but boring, then discovered cichlids...and plecs. Then started rescuing unwanted fish esp goldies to stop them fallng into the wrong hands. Within a few months I had 3 tanks and now have:
2x4ft coldwater; 1x4ft cichlid &plec;2x3ft community and plec/gourami;very large hex -corries and paradise fish;small endler breeding tank for fun. Plus lots of spare tanks for quaranteen/hospital/bullies.
Oops forgot the 7 (4adult, 3 babies)rescued turtles! That's another 1x3ft; 2x18in; plastic tub for feeding babies - must upgrade to at least another 4ft before winter sets in and I need to bring them all indoors!
Do water changes on all fish tanks weekly (aprox 2.5-3hrs) and every other day for turtles cos they're really messy.
PS: Don't tell the water company!

7 turtles? Awesome! :cool:

James.

I'm 14 years old, at one point I had 6 tanks (and several very small breeding ones) that I cared for all by myself, and I also bred (all at once) guppies, platys, mollies, swordtails, zebra danios, kribs, and bettas. It was so overwhelming. I eventually put my hands down and now I will soon have 4, instead of 6. A 57 gallon, which is display (though I'm hoping my lab carries a successful batch), a 39 gallon, which is kind of display... But my kribs always have a batch of fry in there and sometimes my livebearers throw off a batch.. My 17 gallon for a sorority of bettas and a group of corys (which breed by themselves). And I have a 10 gallon that will be split for two male bettas.

I still have my 4.5 gallon set up right now for my current male betta, because I'm waiting for my 10 gallon (cory fry, platy fry, and betta juvies) to grow out before I put the betta in there. :p

So needless to say, I have a long process and a lot of projects ahead of me. :p But it's already easier with 5 tanks rather than 6. :) Thank goodness.

But I'm also getting 2 more leopard geckos, so I don't think I'm actually dropping that much work. :p

-f_f!

Oh man, well, I used to have a 10 gallon, 29 gallon, 55 gallon and various 1 - 5 gallons (appx. 25, all for bettas) set up around my house a couple years back. I'm down to my one 55 gallon, and I'd like to reset up the 10 gallon, but since I'm going to college, it is neither in my time or budget.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back