How many shrimp to start a colony?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Iā€™m starting my first shrimp tank in a few weeks and I donā€™t know how many I should start with. Should I start with 15-20 shrimp that are a lower grade or 10+1 fire red shrimp that are a higher grade? Also, they are imported from Thailand. Is that any different than home bred?

Ok nice. How long did it take them to breed? And should I expect some to die? And are the ones imported from Thailand bad?
I'm not in a position to comment on the quality of US vs Thai bred stock, but must confess that I am surprised that importing them is even a viable business model as they are so easy to breed. Shrimp are stressed by being moved just like fish, but they are a lot more sensitive than fish. I may have lost more than normal because being shipped for a number of hours no doubt does more harm than a short drive from the LFS - but my LFS did not have what I wanted. Typically the shrimps will be born about 28 days after you notice the female is berried. 4-6 months later the shrimplets will be mature and the cycle repeats. Timing is not precise - everything happens quicker in warmer water where they are more active and grow / breed / die quicker. They are fine and will breed in a fairly wide temperature range.

I'm not in a position to comment on the quality of US vs Thai bred stock, but must confess that I am surprised that importing them is even a viable business model as they are so easy to breed. Shrimp are stressed by being moved just like fish, but they are a lot more sensitive than fish. I may have lost more than normal because being shipped for a number of hours no doubt does more harm than a short drive from the LFS - but my LFS did not have what I wanted. Typically the shrimps will be born about 28 days after you notice the female is berried. 4-6 months later the shrimplets will be mature and the cycle repeats. Timing is not precise - everything happens quicker in warmer water where they are more active and grow / breed / die quicker. They are fine and will breed in a fairly wide temperature range.
Ok so as long as I have a male and female I will have babies?

If you get a female carrying eggs, you only need one. But that does mean seeing the shrimps and being able to pick just that one berried female.

If you get a female carrying eggs, you only need one. But that does mean seeing the shrimps and being able to pick just that one berried female.
Ok but 10 is enough if Iā€™m going to be ordering them?

10 is plenty. You'll soon have a thriving colony - provided they send you at least one male and one female. With 10 the odds are pretty good you'll get at least one of each.

10 is plenty. You'll soon have a thriving colony - provided they send you at least one male and one female. With 10 the odds are pretty good you'll get at least one of each.
Ok good. I can always go and get one or 2 shrimp from my lfs if I donā€™t have a male/female. But as you said the odds are very low.

Most reactions

Back