How many Otos in a 5gallon

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

cmhassinger

Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I currently have 2 shrimp and 1 Oto in a 5 gallon. Can I add another Oto? Or is that to many bottom feeders.

Otos need a minimum tank size of 45x30cm (18x12"). They should also be kept in groups of at least 6.

I'm afraid a 5G is too small for otos. In practice it is too small for any fish except a single betta - but there is a chance a betta will eat your shrimp.

I completely concur with seangee. However...you have here an unsatisfactory situation, and assuming you are not willing to get rid of the single oto, meeting its needs half-way is better than doing nothing. I would get two more otos, but no more. Every week do a 50% water change, do not overfeed, and you should be OK. Otos must have algae- or kelp-based foods. Omega One Veggie Rounds are ideal. Otos usually will learn to feed from prepared sinking foods and this particular product is just about the best there is; it will ensure they receive all the nutrients they need. Clean dried leaves from trees like oak, beech and maple are also ideal.

This is not ideal, and certainly not advice for others thinking they can do the same, but when we bring home a fish we have the responsibility to provide the best care we can; just don't repeat the mistake. :good:

I completely concur with seangee. However...you have here an unsatisfactory situation, and assuming you are not willing to get rid of the single oto, meeting its needs half-way is better than doing nothing. I would get two more otos, but no more. Every week do a 50% water change, do not overfeed, and you should be OK. Otos must have algae- or kelp-based foods. Omega One Veggie Rounds are ideal. Otos usually will learn to feed from prepared sinking foods and this particular product is just about the best there is; it will ensure they receive all the nutrients they need. Clean dried leaves from trees like oak, beech and maple are also ideal.

This is not ideal, and certainly not advice for others thinking they can do the same, but when we bring home a fish we have the responsibility to provide the best care we can; just don't repeat the mistake. :good:
Oh no I never thought she was unhappy. I’ve had her for several months now and I also have two small endlers with her. The LFS recommended her for the size tank I had. ‍ She seems healthy and I do give her algae wafers but not everyday.

Oh no I never thought she was unhappy. I also have two small endlers with her and The LFS recommended her for the size tank I had. ‍ She seems healthy and I do give her algae wafers but not everyday.

The store incorrectly advised you, something that is all too common with fish stores unfortunately.

Otos are what we term a shoaling species. This means the fish live in largish groups, and they "expect" this and can be stressed if it is not provided. The degree to which this might affect the fish negatively varies, but in general terms a shoaling species should have half a dozen or more fish of that species. Obviously that is not advisable in this tank. So my earlier post was a compromise.

There is no way (usually) any of us can tell how a fish "feels," when it comes to these issues. All we can expect is that providing what the fish "expects" will more likely reduce stress and that means healthier "happier" fish. I would still get two more otos if you keep the one oto.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back