How Many Guppys Can I Get In A 30l?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JoolsA2

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
how many guppys can i get in a 30 litre tank?, can i breed them?

:hyper:

If you going to keep guppies in a small tank the last thing you want is for them to breed. I would say 3 of one sex max and maybe some cory tops but you need good filtration and to keep up on water changes. If I assume 30 liters is 10 gallon (so I think) then I would suggest a differnt type of fish other then liveberars. DP perhaps?

What filtration have you got on the tank? Is it planted?

A trio (1 male, 2 females) should be fine, but don't expect fry to survive and if they do, be prepared to find new homes for them immediately as the tank is too small to support many fish so if you keep the fry, that can result in all the fish dieing. Alternatively 3 males would be ok.

If you keep corys (and I would advise against this), only the dwarf ones are suitable.

mwood2 30 litres is just over 5 gallons.

What filtration have you got on the tank? Is it planted?
I do not know what filteration i have got because the tank is pre-owned and it has not writing on it. its quite big thought.
it is not planted.

what about wcmm?

Well.. is it powered by an air pump? Or does the whole unit sit inside the tank? Or outside with hoses leading to the tank? If you describe it or take a photo, we will be able to help you.

WCMM are coolwater fish who are very active. They need at least 60 litre tank and the water to be at 18°C.. so no go.

Though I agree with the others, the tank really isn't ideal for guppies, perhaps you could put a betta in there? Two if you divided the tank :D

-Rezz

how many guppys can i get in a 30 litre tank?, can i breed them?

:hyper:
No, don't breed Guppies in that size of a tank. My guppy tank is 3 gallons - less than 1/2 the size of the one you're looking at and it has two male Guppies. The tank is simply too small. Had I known what I know now, I'd either have gotten a 10 gallon for them or used the 3 gallon to house a Betta. For that size of the tank you have, it'd be fine to divide it and put two bettas in.

Reason I say no to guppies in that size of a tank is that they're very active and need lots of swimming room AND because they may bicker. Mine fight all the time. IF you do decide to put Guppies in, try three and see how they do since it won't be a one-on-one situation.

Also, cycle the tank first. Guppies aren't all that hardy due to over breeding. I've had five (since I began this hobby in July) - two died, one had to be returned due to callamanus and the other two are still doing well.

the filter is all in the tank and is plain black. It looks like somthing made by clearseal i think.

Most reactions

trending

Back