How Many Guppies And Platies Can I Have In A 10 Gallon Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hot_hazza3

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hay guys i was just wondering how many guppies and platies can i have in my 10 gallon tank?

A lot of people are saying 10 fish max some are saying a few less or more?

The LPS said i could have upto 15 is this true or am i being made to look silly?

What are your veiws i would like to know cheers "H" :/

Attachments

• DSC00059.JPG
    DSC00059.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 215
I still think that's too much, I'd go 4 Guppies and 4 Platies max, preferably a trio on the Platies. Platies are big waste-makers, so you have to account for that. And extra room for fry is never bad.

I still think that's too much, I'd go 4 Guppies and 4 Platies max, preferably a trio on the Platies. Platies are big waste-makers, so you have to account for that. And extra room for fry is never bad.

Why is that ? I often look at them and they are trailing pooh- a lot of the time ,I never noticed it in the lfs.

Thanks

Why is that ? I often look at them and they are trailing pooh- a lot of the time ,I never noticed it in the lfs.

Thanks

It's because they eat all the time- what goes in must come out :lol:

I would let the exact proportions of guppies/platies be decided by whether you intend to keep mixed genders, females only or males only. If you keep a male-only group of either platies or guppies you would probably want to keep at least 5 individuals to spread aggression (particularly for male guppies). Females are usually ok in smaller numbers- but female guppies are bigger and eat more than males, so count for more.

When I set up my 15 gallon tank in my bedroom I just got a trio (1 m, 2 f) each of guppies and platies, thinking that they would probably be perfectly capable of filling any leftover space. Let me say that they have more than justified my confidence in them :lol:

since they are big waste makers, it would also be nice if you got a bottom feeding fish like a cory or 2, pygmy cory at that to save room. :D

I meant as in you (I do) feed them a little more than others their size, more flakes float down at the same rate so hence more on the bottom, sorry to make it seem like they eat poop, though I have seen them do it A LOT :/

i would suggest some snails - they eat anything in their way, and will grow. You dont have to feed them anything the way i see it. They will even control your algae like mine do :)

i would suggest some snails - they eat anything in their way, and will grow. You dont have to feed them anything the way i see it. They will even control your algae like mine do :)
The thing to add with snails though, is it's easy to get overrun with them, especially if you tend to over feed a bit. :)

Blitz - >>> sorry to make it seem like they eat poop, though I have seen them do it A LOT<<<
I'm not sure if you're saying you've seen them eat poo or what, but no bottom feeders eat it. :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back