How Many Fish Can I Put In 10 Gallon?

Tetras

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Canada. (Orig Denmark)
First aquariun, 10 gallon.

So far I have 3 Black Phantoms and 3 Harlequin Rasboras. Being that it is recently set up I have not wanted to add more than 3 of each. So how many should there be of each so they are happy? Would have loved to have some cardinals as well but must be to much for a 10 gallon tank.

Anyway Aquarium is set up with live plants, room to swim in the front, a rock and a castle which the rasboras enjoy, so my second question is that I have not added any algae eater or bottom feeders yet, any good suggestion for small kinds of these fish, also a couple of ghost shrimp I would enjoy to have, or am I pushing it.

Any feedback would be great, as the info I get from retailers is rather conflicting.
 
You need to up your shoals to 6 of each then maybe add a few shrimp but that would be it IMO.
 
I think 6 of each would be a little much, but maybe do 5 of each. Then if you can find pygmy cories get 3 of them OR some ghost shrimp.
You'd be overstocked according to most standards, but as long as you keep up on the water changes you should be ok.
Good luck!
 
I would get at least 6 pygmies. Their bioload is next to nothing and they are far happier in larger groups. You would probably never see 3, they would hide away. I know this because my pygmy colony dropped to just 3 in my main tank. I actually didn't think I had any left because I never saw them. When we set up the new tank I found the 3 pygmies and decided to put them into one of my 10 gallons with my ever increasing blackbar endlers. I still never saw them so I bought another 6 now they are out swimming around all the time.
My 10 gall is very overstocked with 9 pygmies and dozens of endlers but as I have a lot of plants, weekly water changes and a larger filter my nitrate levels are lower than I on my 66 gallon tank, usually 5.
Good luck :)
 
3 pygmy cories should be fine, they will enjoy eachothers company.

Have either:

-5 Phantom tetras, 5 harlequin's and 3 pygmy cories.

or

-6 phantom tetras, 6 harlequins and 3 ghost shrimp.

tetras and cories make minimal waste, and stay small so you should be fine. Good luck.
 
Do you keep pygmies quays? 3 might be fine for other cories but not pygmies.
 
Hi All that left replies!!!

Thank you for your advice, I must admit after having the tank for a week and a half and spending countless hours on this site, adding more fish is not my biggest priority. I will build up the tetras and rasboras so they have a decent number, and add some shrimp over time. Right now I think I will spend the most time getting my first fish through the cycle. They are doing good. Ammonia is at zero, Nitrite is still high so I do daily water changes and add cycle. Also I am the proud owner of trumpet snails that smuggled themselves in on a plant.

Again, thanks for your replies. :)
 
Just thought I would add that if you do decide to add ghost shrimp, you could add more than 3. They don't add a large enough impact on the bioload of the tank to make a significant difference and will actually help to keep the tank clearer and more stable water-wise due to the great job they do cleaning. They are also fun to watch imo.
 
Yes I am thinking to get shrimp. At my lfs they have the red cherry shrimp, as far as I can tell from reading about these online they would do more for the tank than ghost shrimp. I was told I should wait for the tank to finish cycling before adding, which I had intended. It certainley is entertainment value as well . The guy at lfs also suggested oto cat instead of shrimp. Would that be advicable in my 10 gallon tank? They are also relly cute looking but don't want to add anything that wouldn't thrive.

Replies would be great.

Thanks to all
 
I got a dozen zebra danios having a great time in a 10 gallon. i barely have to even do anything to the tank, i havnt had to ammo lock or change anything... slight ph adjustments here and there and a 30 - 40% water change every week.

And people have told me that's way over stocked, but i know plenty of people with far heavier stocking,

its not just about how many, but what kind, their sizes their habits, what area in the tank they use, what they eat.

Also since danios are small 12 is alright, but if your fish are large, you don't want them in rush hour all day long. fighting for any scrap of food.

As for shrimp, there's another guy here that's got cherry shrimp in his community tank, its larger then 10g, much larger. some fish will try to eat your shrimp, and some of your shrimp may try to eat some of your fish, just be prepared for that, the hungrier they are the more they are going to try. so keep your shrimp well fed with meat that he can get to, like crab meat or whatnot that can sink to where he is.

Good luck.
 
get ghost or cherry shrimp cuz thay r good cleaners. my LFS puts cherrys in other tanks just for cleaning. al tho, cherrys are mor $ and thay are smaller. but mor color ful. i personally prefer ghosts cuz thay r a bit bigger and, well, i just think thay r kool. i dont think the cherrys or ghosts will eat other fish, unnless thay r like guppie fry. all tho som stores sell ghosts as live bait. just keep them with small stuff like guppies or tetras other shrimp. the small stuff ya know? but not chichilds, thay eat shrimp. you might be able to keep them with bigger fish, but im not an expert. ^_^

-hihi :ninja:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top