How Many Corydoras Catfish Should I Get?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

geoff19780

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up my first aquarium. I bought a 60l tank and in the process of the fishless cycle. I'm now looking at what to put in it. I like the look of the corydoras catfish but everywhere is suggesting to keep them in a group of 6. This would be too many for the size of my tank or wouldn't leave room for anything else. Is this correct? Could I just get two or three or would I be better looking at something else?

Thanks,

Geoff

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up my first aquarium. I bought a 60l tank and in the process of the fishless cycle. I'm now looking at what to put in it. I like the look of the corydoras catfish but everywhere is suggesting to keep them in a group of 6. This would be too many for the size of my tank or wouldn't leave room for anything else. Is this correct? Could I just get two or three or would I be better looking at something else?

Thanks,

Geoff

You could fit 6 in that size tank quite easily as long as you don't really have any other bottom dwellers. The other stocking will determine what sort of filtration you have.

You don't need to get 6 cory's, i usually advise 4 minimum (all the same species) with obviously more been better.

Edited just to say that the above amount of 6 in a 60l is going on the basis the tank is 2 foot long minimum.

Thanks for the response. I bought the Elite Style 60 tank which comes with the Elite Stringray 15 Filter. After reading on here for a bit it doesn't sound like a very good one.

I was thinking about adding the following fish,

4x Cory

2x Honey Gourami

4x Cardinal Tetra

Would this be too much?

Thanks,

Geoff

Thanks for the response. I bought the Elite Style 60 tank which comes with the Elite Stringray 15 Filter. After reading on here for a bit it doesn't sound like a very good one.

4x Cory

2x Honey Gourami

4x Cardinal Tetra

Would this be too much?

Thanks,

Geoff

You would want to up the amount of cardinals, they will prefer a larger group and will look better in larger groups.

The stocking seems quite good to me but i cant say for definite if the gouramis will be suitable, i know absolutely nothing about them. Have you thought about dwarf/neon gourami?, males are a nice blue or reddish.

Either way i think the fish you've picked will be quite suitable and as long as you upgrade that filter, i cant see any problems with adding a couple more fish :)

4x Cory

2x Honey Gourami

4x Cardinal Tetra

Would this be too much?

Thanks,

Geoff

You would want to up the amount of cardinals, they will prefer a larger group and will look better in larger groups.

The stocking seems quite good to me but i cant say for definite if the gouramis will be suitable, i know absolutely nothing about them. Have you thought about dwarf/neon gourami?, males are a nice blue or reddish.

Either way i think the fish you've picked will be quite suitable and as long as you upgrade that filter, i cant see any problems with adding a couple more fish :)

Thanks for the reply. I did fancy the Dwarf Gourami but looking around a the fish compatibility they don't go with the cory. The only one that seemed to be happy was the Honey Gourami.

And yes I'll be going to get a better filter. Are there any issues changing the filer during the fishless cycle? I'm only at the first stage waiting for the Ammonia to drop.

4x Cory

2x Honey Gourami

4x Cardinal Tetra

Would this be too much?

Thanks,

Geoff

Thanks for the reply. I did fancy the Dwarf Gourami but looking around a the fish compatibility they don't go with the cory. The only one that seemed to be happy was the Honey Gourami.

And yes I'll be going to get a better filter. Are there any issues changing the filer during the fishless cycle? I'm only at the first stage waiting for the Ammonia to drop.

Not sure where the info came from but dwarf gouramis will be completely fine with cory's, infact they would probably suit your tank better due to them only growing around 2 inches where as the honey (i think) gets more like 3-3.5 inch.

The filter should be ok to change now, the cycle obviously would have to start from scratch but if your waiting for ammonia to still drop it really isn't going to matter anyways. Not sure if your processing any ammonia but if it is been process and the media out of the stingray can be removed?, then if possible just move that media into the new filter if you can get it in somewhere.

Honey gouramis grow to 3"

Dwarfs grow to 4"

I would suggest the honey gouramis because they would look better IMO and dont grow as big as dwarfs.

After seeing dwarf and honey gouramis,they're nice but personally i'd go sparkling gouramis,they stay quite small at around an inch or so.

Cardinals are better in a larger shoaling group.same goes for cories,they act different when theres more of them and you see them at the best :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back