How long...?

nitro

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me how long roughly it takes for neon tetra disease to kill a fish?
:(

Cheers

It depends days to weeks.

Hi all,

Last thursday the day after i moved my tank into a temporary position i noticed that one of the neons were quite faded especially on the red stripe a tiny tiny part of the blue stripe and part of its other body colour. I instantly though of NTD but then i thought i could be stress aswell?

However it is just over one week now before i noticed it and it is still in the same condition(maybe worse :/ ). All the other 11 neons are showingthere wonderful bright colours though so i am kinda thinking it is NTD.

All water param are fine and it still eats well.

Is there anything else it could have apart from NTD?

:( I'll keep a close watch on it and keep ya all updated.

Sorry to hear :(
It could be that he's just really stressed from the new environment, but that in itself can bring on the disease.

Here's another site with info on it:
NTD Info

Best of luck to you and your little guy.

I would issolate the fish just in case and treat him with an antibiotic med as you can get false NTD as well.

Although called "Neon Tetra Disease" infestation with sporozoans can occur in many species. It has certainly been recorded in non characoid fish, Barbs, Danios etc.

As the parasites grow, the deformities of the fish become more apparent, the spine tends to get a kinked look to it. This can take weeks, even months.

update.

I set up my 10gallon and used 5 gallons of water, a cup full of gravel and some filter media from my 28 gallon tank so i shouldnt have to worry about any ammonia spikes etc.(hopefully)

Seems really sad when there is only one neon in there even though i know its the best thing for the other 11 neons and guppy.

Best thing even though hes' on his own, you would of havin to strip the whole tank down if it is NTD, and would of lost alot of fish.

Update. 6th March

The neons condition has not changed since i moved it last Sunday and seems happy even though hes on his own.

-_-

Most reactions

Back