How long will defrosted bloodworm last?

kitty falol

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

I've just given my guppies their first meal of bloodworm and they loved it! :p The only problem is that there's only 4 of them so half a defrosted block would be way too much for them (I think!)

Is it safe to keep the bloodworm and feed it to them again tomorrow? Will it last longer than that (I was going to put it in my fridge)?

what i do is cut the block in half or into fourths (takes a little muscle) while still frozen, then just defrost a piece as i need it............... then you don't have to worry about waste in the tank or about the rest rotting and stinking up the fridge....

How long does live blood worm last when u buy it,is it safe keep it for a few days?

i'm with MAM on this one cut into quarters then defrost it

mmmmm how longs that going to take in the microwave oven :rolleyes:

jk

i buy ones that are like a sheet, not blocks. I like the sheet ones better becuase you can adjust the amount, since i only feed very litlte, i only break off a very very litlte piece :D

i just bang the bag one the counter-pull out a few of the broken pieces and put it back in the freezer.
not sure why you defrosted the whole thing...im not sure how long they will last though :huh:

i'm sure they will start rotting if left unfrozen for a while :/ i would put them back in the freeze asap. My bag of brine shrimp deforsted on the way back home, i threwit in the freezer as soon as i could, it seems to be alright

Ooh sheets sound like a good idea, but I'm a bit limited here with what I can buy.

I didn't defrost the whole thing, :*) It was frozen in a blister pack and each small blister block is designed for you to break it in half, so I did...... It was only when I defrosted it that I realised that it was going to be waaay to much.

Maybe next time I'll have a go at it with small sharp knife.

I don't see why it shouldn't be ok overnight. The reason it's frozen is so it can last for a very long time, a few months maybe, but 24 hours defrosted shouldn't hurt as long as you keep it refridgerated :D

EDIT: I also have the blister pack and I break it into quarters, I find that's pretty sufficient for my fish :)

It should last refridgerated for at least 3 days and slightly longer depending on how could it is kept. Just do not freeze it again.

I keep mine out 3 days max by which time nearly all of it is used up though I'm going to cut them in half so I can make them last longer. Kinda have a budget right now. :(

Most reactions

Back