How Long Until She Drops?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ny82

1 Woman Army ;)
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Here are my 2 female guppies how long until they drop please if they are pregnant.

Female 1 - all black tail white/grey body she's the fatter of the 2 and has been spending a lot of time hiding in the plants.
IMAG2008-1.jpg

Female 2 - black tail, blue tips
IMAG2006-1.jpg

The male is a brilliant yellow, no markings just plain yellow with a white belly and a red tip on the dorsal fin but these females were fat from the shop.

Here is a video in case the pics aren't clear enough. Sorry about the quality the waters still not cleared since my water change an hour ago.
http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa466/TiggsGTI/New%20tank%20progress/?action=view&current=VIDEO0085.mp4

I also have a blue/grey female mickey mouse platy who I never see, she's always in the plants she has a round belly and a gravid spot. Could she be pregnant too? Very difficult to get a pic of her, she's extremely shy. I bought her from dobbies garden world, picked her as there was not many females and I hadn't seen that colour before. I bought a male from the same tank who was by her side every time she moved-he is a hi fin platy which is what she was in with. She was also in with fish labelled "american livebearers) which were grey.

The best pic I have of her you can faintly see the spot
IMAG1984-2.jpg

She moved as the camera snapped :rolleyes:
IMAG1988-1.jpg

The male - my other female is the same colour as him
IMAG1987-1.jpg

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Female 1 will drop tomorrow or max the day after that..... Female 2.... I'm afraid.... you'll have to wait at least another 19 to 23 days......

Female 1 will drop tomorrow or max the day after that..... Female 2.... I'm afraid.... you'll have to wait at least another 19 to 23 days......
Thanks for the reply. Oh my, so soon :hyper: omg i'm so nervous! She's the one that's been hiding in the plants a lot and goes out her way to chase the other female away. I'm not stressing her by getting a breeding trap I have read a lot of negative things about it.

I have the following fish:
7 tetras (3 platinum 4 neon)
1 male and 2 female platy
1 male and the other female guppy
4 long fin leopard danios
5 corys (2 ambiacus, 2 sodalis 1 bronze)
I have read the corys wont bother the fry but probably everything else will.
This is a full shot of my tank I only received my 75 plants a week or so ago - it's a good job too!

IMAG1979.jpg

IMAG1982-1.jpg

The gourami in the pic was rehomed last week-he was the reason my tetras were dying :blink:
Do you think any fry will survive?
Thanks

Instead of having that cabomba planted,.... I will have it floating together in the darkest corner of the tank if you want any survivors..... You will spot any fry much better from the top down than trying to see them from below.... I will not recommend a breeding trap for the birth process, but you may want to move your fry to a breeding trap (for a while) after they are born..... Your setup is reasonable for a portion of the fry to survive... (I'd say about 8 fry of the 25 - 35 she is likely to have)..... but more is possible if you can be on standby during delivery to move the fry over to a floating breeding trap. If you seriously want to breed them.... You will need another (at least 2 ft) tank and move the guppies (or live bearers to it with plenty Hornwort (or floating Cabomba) in this tank.... Good luck....

BTW.... your Platy also has some time to go before delivering.

In a livebearer setup.... your floating plants are much more important than having a well planted tank..... If you have a setup (as below)... I am prepared to guarantee a high survival rate which will increase after every brood....

100_3751.jpg

Oh no I just noticed she was very fat and thought maybe she's pregnant. I don't want to intentionally breed them as a hobby.
As for the cabomba-it's not clear in the pic but it's so tall that it actually bends over the tank I have an overhead shot:
IMAG2011-1.jpg

The plant next to it has been uprooted by the corys again :rolleyes:

This is a side view if you can see it's bent over the bogwood.
IMAG2012-1.jpg

Would this be sufficient? Or shall I cut the tops off the cabomba and have them floating? It's too tall as it is so that could be an option? I would need to take about 4 inches off.

Sorry didn't see that reply with the pic of the floating plants. Right I have a small tank which my friend bought, it's got no filter so I can't set that up but it has got my spare plants in it. I will go see what I have and cut the tops off that cabomba as it's very tall and have that floating too.
Thanks for the help. I will keep you all updated. I'm so nervous I feel sick. I wasn't even this bad when I was in labour!! :rolleyes:

I've just had a look and these are the ones I have left
IMAG2013.jpg

I have chucked them in strategically, wrapped that tall cabomba round the bogwood so it stays on that side and put the other ones at the front.
This is the top view

IMAG2014-1.jpg

the side view
IMAG2016.jpg

I will go out and buy a breeding trap tomorrow to put the babies in if any survive.

I'm so nervous I feel sick. I wasn't even this bad when I was in labour!! :rolleyes:

And you say you do not "intentionally" want to breed them...... Hmmm?????..... Lemme predict!!!.... this is the start of many!

I'm so nervous I feel sick. I wasn't even this bad when I was in labour!! :rolleyes:

And you say you do not "intentionally" want to breed them...... Hmmm?????..... Lemme predict!!!.... this is the start of many!
lol I didn't think any would survive in a tank with other fish.
You know that pic of the floating plants-is that where I will find the fry or do they drop to the bottom? I had moss balls every where but they seemed to have went grey and had to be removed.
She doesn't seem very good at the moment. She is really restless and skitty whenever something goes past her. She keeps going to the sand too. Her gills are going really fast so I checked the water but thats fine.
I hope she's ok.

So I went to rinse the test out and I came back and she's gone. The lights have been off for an hour. I don't want to put them on and stress her out but I can't see her anywhere. Then again I have a huge amount of plants and now floating ones too! She will come out when she's ready I suppose.

She doesn't seem very good at the moment. She is really restless and skitty whenever something goes past her. She keeps going to the sand too. Her gills are going really fast so I checked the water but thats fine.
I hope she's ok.

OMG! OMG!..... do not fret!!!.... My first advice to anyone starting up a new tank is to please do not worry..... the more you check them out and fret about them.... the more you're going to loose.... It is just like that.... So let nature take it's course.... you are set up... and the fish will take care of the rest.... A good sign that she is about to deliver is when the males starts getting particularly annoying around her.... Then it is minutes or seconds away before delivering.

I hope she's ok.

OMG! OMG!..... do not fret!!!.... My first advice to anyone starting up a new tank is to please do not worry..... the more you check them out and fret about them.... the more you're going to loose.... It is just like that.... So let nature take it's course.... you are set up... and the fish will take care of the rest.... A good sign that she is about to deliver is when the males starts getting particularly annoying around her.... Then it is minutes or seconds away before delivering.
ok...calm down, breathe!
I just don't want anything to happen to her. My friend just set up his tank, he bought 3 mollys from pets at home, one of the marbled ones which was a lovely calico - had 21 babies a day after she was put in but she died and so did one of the babies, but they caught the 20 babies and put them in a breeder. They are now 2 days old!
I have just seen the male, he's zipping about with the danios. It's always chaos at this time of night though cus I put an algae wafer in for the corys when the lights are out but the fish go mad for it. Poor things can't even eat it in peace! I have just spotted her-she's eating the algae wafer with the rest of them, she's fine lol
I will keep you guys updated. I might have fry this time tomorrow :hyper:

I've had between 15-20 Guppie's give birth over the past few years & I have to admit that I've never had a single one die from the pregnancy alone, at least not that I have recognised. Every single one has been in a breeding trap as well. Maybe this will put your mind at rest :D

Oh no I don't have a breeding trap. I will get one tomorrow-but it's the thought of chasing the wee guys with a net and uprooting all the plants and then the sandstorm that follows then the others will find the babies oh it will be carnage :blink:
I will leave them alone.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back