How long to change water mix safely?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NannaLou

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Morning 🙂,

I currently use 50/50 tap and RO water for Blue, but keeping the mix and temperature the same is a bit of a faff 😳.

Would he be ok in pure RO water, would it need to be re-mineralised (if so by any set amount)? And how long would it take to change from 50/50 to 100%..?

From other threads, I could just take out a couple of litres every other day and top up again without any mixing and as it would be smaller water change I wouldn’t need to worry about temperature matching. Does that sound like I’ve understood other threads..?

Many thanks 🙂

Many hobbyists still use a method called drip acclimation when adding new fish in the theory that the fish will be better acclimated if/when there's a different water chemistry. In reality, it takes fish weeks, sometimes longer, to adjust to a different water chemistry.

Although you might only use re-mineralized RO water, I frankly wouldn't bother when your 50/50 mix works just fine (without the added cost of potions for gH). Why not continue the 50/50 mix and simply use a spare heater to adjust for temperature the day before water changes. (I do this in a 45g Brute trash can with two 300w heaters for water changes on several tanks in my unheated basement). :)

Many hobbyists still use a method called drip acclimation when adding new fish in the theory that the fish will be better acclimated if/when there's a different water chemistry. In reality, it takes fish weeks, sometimes longer, to adjust to a different water chemistry.

Although you might only use re-mineralized RO water, I frankly wouldn't bother when your 50/50 mix works just fine (without the added cost of potions for gH). Why not continue the 50/50 mix and simply use a spare heater to adjust for temperature the day before water changes. (I do this in a 45g Brute trash can with two 300w heaters for water changes on several tanks in my unheated basement). :)
I’m in a first floor flat, so don't have the luxury of a basement, garage etc. So I end up having to mix two, five litre buckets. Storage space is at a premium so having containers of pre-mixed, heater water isn’t really an option and a 5 litre bucket gets heavy.

I don’t want to risk upsetting him, so if I have to stay with the 50/50 mix the so be it…

Isn't 5 liters 1.3~ gallons? How about putting 5 liters of RO water into a 5G bucket by the aquarium, then add 5 liters of warm tap water and use an inexpensive submersible pump (or a small container as a scoop) to refill the aquarium.

Isn't 5 liters 1.3~ gallons? How about putting 5 liters of RO water into a 5G bucket by the aquarium, then add 5 liters of warm tap water and use an inexpensive submersible pump (or a small container as a scoop) to refill the aquarium.
I’m looking at pumps and piping at the moment as I’m getting a bigger tank for Christmas 🙂 and that will definitely need a proper system, and I don’t have a mixer tap to run a Python (and they seem to waste a huge amount of water).

Probably less stressful than changing the water mix he seems happy with - thank you 🙂

and I don’t have a mixer tap to run a Python (and they seem to waste a huge amount of water).
Some folks think that you need to keep the tap running when using a Python to remove water from a tank. However, once the siphon starts, the tap can be turned off!
Now for many, an inexpensive submersible pump is the way to go. Add some quick disconnects and you're really cooking. :)

Some folks think that you need to keep the tap running when using a Python to remove water from a tank. However, once the siphon starts, the tap can be turned off!
Now for many, an inexpensive submersible pump is the way to go. Add some quick disconnects and you're really cooking. :)
"However, once the siphon starts, the tap can be turned off!"

As long as the tank is higher than the tap, of course ;)

I never use running tap to empty my tanks, waste of water, plain and simple...I just place my Python pickup tube in the tank, start suction on the other end, and let it drain out of a door into my flowerbeds or the yard...with the 25' length Python, you have right at 7 seconds before the draining water reaches the end of the hose, plenty of time to move your mouth out of the way...if you don't like the taste of tank water, that is...

"However, once the siphon starts, the tap can be turned off!"

As long as the tank is higher than the tap, of course ;)

I never use running tap to empty my tanks, waste of water, plain and simple...I just place my Python pickup tube in the tank, start suction on the other end, and let it drain out of a door into my flowerbeds or the yard...with the 25' length Python, you have right at 7 seconds before the draining water reaches the end of the hose, plenty of time to move your mouth out of the way...if you don't like the taste of tank water, that is...
I’m out in the garden and the pipe is see through. Once I see the water coming out of the window I fling the pipe onto the lawn ASAP. No mouthfuls yet.
Gravel vaccing the 60L is a different story I’m afraid.

I’m out in the garden and the pipe is see through. Once I see the water coming out of the window I fling the pipe onto the lawn ASAP. No mouthfuls yet.
Gravel vaccing the 60L is a different story I’m afraid.
I just have to make sure the hose is empty before starting the suction, or I may get a little of LAST week's water change in my mouth, lol...that's the only time I use a running tap, to empty the hose before storing it

I just have to make sure the hose is empty before starting the suction, or I may get a little of LAST week's water change in my mouth, lol...that's the only time I use a running tap, to empty the hose before storing it
I’ve had a few little bits of last weeks clean water I must admit.

My pythons 15m long and wrestles into a zipped nylon king size duvet delivery bag. Wrapping it around a garden chair backrest gives the correct size for its “bag”. THIS is the sort of knowledge that aquarists need as it’s a very home made solution type of hobby.

I’ve had a few little bits of last weeks clean water I must admit.

My pythons 15m long and wrestles into a zipped nylon king size duvet delivery bag. Wrapping it around a garden chair backrest gives the correct size for its “bag”. THIS is the sort of knowledge that aquarists need as it’s a very home made solution type of hobby.
LOL....indeed

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back