The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
hello, i have a guppy with minor fin rot, turns out there was a dead fish i have not noticed.
how long will it take for it to heal?
did big water change yesterday, feel like i wanna do that tomorrow too

@Colin_T you were on the last thread so i thought you can help maybe

Under good conditions it takes a couple of days for the damaged tissue to seal off the open wound. Then it takes about a week to heal the wound. And about a month for the fin to grow back.

Under good conditions it takes a couple of days for the damaged tissue to seal off the open wound. Then it takes about a week to heal the wound. And about a month for the fin to grow back.
Thanks, how often should i waterchange in this period, and what should i add

do a big water change and gravel clean substrate every day for at least a week so there is minimal disease organisms in the water. clean the filter too if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.

if you want to add anything, add some salt (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres). keep salt in there for 2 weeks.

do a big water change and gravel clean substrate every day for at least a week so there is minimal disease organisms in the water. clean the filter too if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks.

if you want to add anything, add some salt (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres). keep salt in there for 2 weeks.
Hmm last time i salted it freaked out the guppy and killed him

Hmm last time i salted it freaked out the guppy and killed him
What kind of salt did you add last time? And if you're worried about it I'd suggest adding some salt to the water you're changing into the tank so it's already dissolved. And maybe even start with a half dose of salt and then slowly go up to a full dosage.

What kind of salt did you add last time? And if you're worried about it I'd suggest adding some salt to the water you're changing into the tank so it's already dissolved. And maybe even start with a half dose of salt and then slowly go up to a full dosage.
normal api aquarium salt
ok, do i need to remove inverts? have some little snails in there

normal api aquarium salt
ok, do i need to remove inverts? have some little snails in there
I honestly don't know, I've had snails with guppies I've treated with salt and they seemed unbothered. These are bladdersnails though, they're pretty tough buggers. Depending on what kind of snails you have, they might be okay, but I'd say give Google a shot if you're not sure.

I honestly don't know, I've had snails with guppies I've treated with salt and they seemed unbothered. These are bladdersnails though, they're pretty tough buggers. Depending on what kind of snails you have, they might be okay, but I'd say give Google a shot if you're not sure.
it says they cant... i will remove them
can i still have filter carbon?

aaaa today it is getting worse, his fin went smaller a lot.
what should i do? salt baths did not work the last time, i might try again since he is a hardier guppy

have you ever treated fin rot?

Colin_T did not suggest a bath, he suggested salt IN THE TANK for 2 weeks....
Oh ok.
how much for 75g then?
ill remove the snails but they are unhappy when removed though...

2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres

Personally, I'd forgo the salt, and just keep doing water changes, monitor params, and be sure to use Prime or API Tap Conditioner

Most reactions

trending

Back