How Long Can You Leave Fish?

Lizzie71

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
475
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
GB
I know that healthy adult fish can go for quite a while without eating, but how long exactly would it be safe to leave the tank unsupervised whilst on holiday?

Next week I'm away for 4 days and I'll put the lights on a timer switch, and I'm sure all will be fine.

But later in the year I'm going for 2 weeks and I'm wondering if that would be too long to leave the tanks? Should I put one of those holiday feeders in?
 
I know that healthy adult fish can go for quite a while without eating, but how long exactly would it be safe to leave the tank unsupervised whilst on holiday?

Next week I'm away for 4 days and I'll put the lights on a timer switch, and I'm sure all will be fine.

But later in the year I'm going for 2 weeks and I'm wondering if that would be too long to leave the tanks? Should I put one of those holiday feeders in?
4 days is fine, feed them well before you leave but 2 weeks is to much, a holiday feeder is a good idea,
 
The longest I've seen fish go is 10 days, and they were fine. Supposedly they can go a month without food. I'd put a holiday feeder in just in case when you go for 2 weeks. :nod: Don't worry about he 4 days.
 
Holliday feeding blocks are very very bad news, i would highly recommend that you do not use them. If you go away for a week or so just feed them before you leave and they will be fine. Longer than that get someone to feed them.
 
Here's a nice article about getting fish that have seasonal dry & rainy seasons to spawn; http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breedi...%20seasons.html

If you read down about 2/3 of the way, you will see that for one week you are feeding the fish about 1/3 normal, then not at all for the next two weeks. I have done this with angels, and have extended it to 10 days with very little food, than 20 with no food at all. They slim down, but are fine after this.

The feeder blocks do contain plaster, and often do not dissolve at a consistent rate. This means a 1 week feeder block will not dissolve at all for two days, then completely dissolve the next two days. This overloads the tank with food, which goes uneaten, rots, and creates an ammonia spike while nobody is around to deal with it. A couple of fish die, furthering the problem, with the end result being the aquarist coming home to a really messed up tank.
 
Four days?. Don't worry, just feed them as normal when you get back. Enjoy your break.
 
Hmm... now that I think about it... get a friend to feed them when you're gone for a month! :D That's what I do.
 
The only good holiday feeder is the gealtin ones by Tetra Min
they dont dissolve in your tank
they only get eatn by the fish.
 
I don't think which 'Holiday Feeder' is best is really what the OP needs to know here.

IMO, Tolak's advice is on the button. Fish will survive for around 2 weeks no problem, usually longer.

Holiday feeders are unnecessary and any pollution in your tank which can be avoided when you are away can only be a good thing.

Cheers :good:

BTT
 
I googled tetra gel, looked up some reviews and no negatives so maybe worth a try?

I did try to add the links I found but failed miserably. Sorry! Just google 'tetra gel' and have a look yourself, and see what you think.

Would be good to know if anyone on here had actually tried them tho.

Good luck and have a good holiday!
 
Thanks everyone I've done a big water change today in preparation. For 4 days I will just leave them, but I might look into the tetra gel thing when I go for two weeks.

I have a friend who feeds the guinea pigs so she might bung a bit of food in a couple of times when I'm gone for longer, if I ask her nicely :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top