How Long Before Fish

CTlovesKS

Fish Herder
Joined
Apr 26, 2009
Messages
1,124
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Dorset
Im having a 4G (UK) fish tank for a male betta and a couple of shrimp if he agrees to them etc. Im getting a heater at the end of the week or tomorrow depends how much money i ahve on hand etc. but not having a filter. I know i have to water change it very 3-4 days without having a filter and this Im fine with. how long would I have to wait till I could put a betta and couple of shrimp in? i have put water control in (Because its tap water)
 
If you're not using a filter, there's no need to wait at all. Get the water up to temp, make sure it's dechlored and that's it.
I think you'd be changing more often than that though. I'm cycling a filter with my betta in and it's 1 or 2 changes a day to keep ammonia and nitrites below 0.25ppm.
If you're going to do those changes anyway, you might as well be cycling a filter in there, then eventually, you'll only have to do changes once a week :)
Make one of those sponge ones. I've just done one with a 34p tupperware container from asda, bit of gravel and some filter sponge. Granted, I had these bits and an air pump and tube already, but still quite cheap.
 
Firstly contact a member from this thread as you may be able to get some mature media to add to the tank thus not needing to cycle.

A betta will need 1-2 water changes per day in an uncyled tank and although not running a filter at all is possible there is no reason for it as they are so cheap especially if you search around. The shrimp will not be able to go into an unfiltered tank the ammonia fluctuations would cause to many issues for them and they need a mature filter to thrive.
 
i think you should just buy an air pump, its cheap as peanuts, and it wont cause you as much hassle with water changes, and ammonia fluctuations :)
 
As you see iam a willing donor for mature media if you need some, might have a sponge filter laying around if you need it, will have to look for it, all you need to do is connect it to a air pump,simple :good:
 
Well yes if you do have a spare one i will take it off you. Probaly need some of the media as well. Could only get to you on bus though, could you maybe deviler ?
 
Going to get Fish and heater today. As i wont take more than 10 mins (In reason) to heat a small tank... Also its not like heating a 5ft tank is it.

Might get a mini fliter if got enough in bank, if not will make my own when I get home or buy one next week and do daily changes
 
I think that one of those instructions makes about 10 filters. Maaaaybe go with the empty food container one for just a betta.
 
Well I got a free of a friend. And its a mini type filter fits perfect in the and doesnt seem to make too much of a current for him.

I also got a heater and getting the betta next monday... As thats when they get a new stock and should have some nice ones in then...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top