How hardy are angels?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ketyana

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have suddenly a month ago lost all but one of my fish after about 3 years of having a successful and healthy tank going with no obvious reason i can find, when my last pentazona was still going I seized the opportunity to not start all over again and moved 8 golden babrbs and seeded gravel into the tank to keep it going, they have been in there since Tuesday.

I still however consider this a 'new tank' bacteria/stablity wise and therefore want to know in this situation how long would you wait before introducing angel fish? I plan to have two as my partner really wants them, I know the ones I want and they are small maybe 7ish cm each, and they will live with large rosy tetras (beyond eating size and a very gentle species) however I know next to nothing about angels and just wanted advice about when they can be added.

The barbs will be removed at the time I am 'floating' the angels, they will never meet the barbs have a barb only tank to return to when they have done their job of keeping the bacteria fed and happy.

They're pretty tough despite their fragile looking fins. Being South American cichlids, they have much of that sort of attitude. I've had some get pretty beat up in various pairing & mating scuffles. Usually just a lot of fresh water changes and they healed right up.

Tolak

Mine got beaten up aswell, and healed. Actually, right now they are in a 50g koi quarentine tub in my basement, that isnt heated (it's an emergency!) and they're doin fine. Besides my Oscar, they are my toughest fishies!

--Dan

So i can put Angels in a tank that has had fish in it for only two weeks?

Depends on the parimeters. I would say 2 weeks is a good amount of time...but it kinda depends on tank size. Angels are hardy, but you have to have a tank deep enough for them. They can get up to 7 inches tall, so you need a tank at least double that height. They need a PH of 6.0 to 9.0 and they are sensitive to dirty water. So frequent water changes are a must, as well, they will die if the tank has to strong of a current. You will probably need to get something to place in the tank to stop the filter from splashing the water back in too forcefully.

The filtration is under gravel so the current is not an issue with it, the tank is a fluval 800duo, so large enough

Thanks for the feed back, now I just need to wait til after I go away this weekend to get them :S

My Angel is going on his sixth year now and doing fine, every once and awhile his fins get beat up but they always heal, I would agree that a tall tank is best to house them, but I have never done anything special other than that. I have a few Tetra's in the tank plus 2 Clown loaches and he does not bother or get bothered by any of them and is very happy in his little space. They are a good investment and provide a truly beautiful fish to keep.

Good luck and have fun !! :D

Most reactions

Back