how hard

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

How long's a piece of string! :) there are many factors which determine how hard a marine tank is you can make it as easy or as complex as you like depending which setup you wish to go for :sly:

was talking to the guy in my lfs today about marine tanks, sounds pretty hard work, a lot more than the tropical tank, and all the different equipment you need very pricey, looked at the fish nice but expesive,
imagine if you lose any, cost a small furtune, oh well like you said william if i win the lottery lol :lol:

If you ask me it's not as hard as people make out,or am i doing something wrong lol

cheers will :blush:

I believe a well planted tank, with a full bio load of fish, can be more maintenece than a well planned marine aquarium. It is the cost..... :-(

lol :lol: well my lfs guy made it sound like hard work, he's probably just lazy
lol, :)

Yeah he probably is, I say if you can afford it and you like them then get one.
Make sure you know abit about them before you buy. Ask as many questions on here as possible so you know whats what.....

yes i like them, have seen one set up realy lovely live corals and fish,
seen one with the sea horses in, these were in an out of t fs,
may be one day i might be able to afford one, ugh damn the bills lol :lol:
what with the expense of the marine set up , i'd research loads before buying one :thumbs:

Will said:
If you ask me it's not as hard as people make out,or am i doing something wrong lol

ditto

you do have to keep a beedy eye on things, and if they go askew, then the quicker you catch it the better, but in general, i havn't found it all that more difficult than f/w.
but as will said in another thread,
do your homework first
stay fluffy
ty

my lfs has some cool starfish, seahorses ( thought they had to tank of their own) ( now thats prolly wrong lol) and some cute fishies!

hey cry, how are you, enjoying my cakes no doubt :p
some starfish are ok, but seahorses are hard to keep and are not really suited to a lively fish tank, they depend on food coming to them and tend not to get much when the fish gobble it all at the surface. need really good water i understand too
ty
would love to have a couple of seahorses tho :D

hi tyvex it was the seahorses i was refering too, my lfs has 3 at 25quid each lovely little things , i though people were stopped buying them years ago cos i not seen any for about 10 years in a fish shop! DOH! cakes are nice mr kipling tooo! lovely lol :lol: :lol:

I think that the difficulty of maintaining a tank depends on what factors you put in. Is it going to be a reef tank or not? Also, a lot of the cost in having a fish tank is paid off at the beginning. After the initial setup, it won't cost that much, unless you somehow messed up and have botched the entire setup. The fish are expensive, but if you read up on them beforehand and buy them sparsely and slowly, you won't lose that many. :fish:

ONCE you figure out how to keep the water quality levels balanced, and if you have live rock/live sand, it is easier. Never really have to do a water change ... I replace a good 10G per week from evaporation. Empty the skimmer cup once a week. Add calcium once a week, drip limewater 2-3x a week, and that's about it.

Anything else I do just *%)# things up!

Freshwater change far more of a pain ... 25% water change every other week.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back