How Fish Are Delivered To Pet Store

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

David J

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi

Thought I'd share this from someone on Reddit.

http://imgur.com/a/fmn0L

Not nice. I'm shocked the fish can survive like that. Maybe they don't. I wonder how long they are in these conditions before the store puts them in their tanks.

David

Wow!   Was the person holding the bags trying to make a point on how badly the fish are shipped to them??  

Cheese n rice those are very small bags...

That may well put me off buying a betta so as not to encourage this! On the other hand it sort of makes you want to buy up all the wee guys and looking after them all.

iv been told about this by my LFS, the bags do have O2 pumped into them, its to keep the cost down on shipping, water weighs alot 

Its bad enough buying new fish in the normal bags with lots of water let alone this!

Starletta said:
Wow!   Was the person holding the bags trying to make a point on how badly the fish are shipped to them??
I think so. Anyone know how long you would expect them to be in transit like this? Do you think this is the norm across all retailers or is this a bad example?

i think its normal across retailers, my LFS is a small one and they say the fish are shipped like this, i think there next day delivery or 1-2 days in them conditions 

all live fish will get transported via air freight, to save on cost people ship them like this. 

Oh my gosh!! 
sad1.gif

Sincerely hope this is not he normal way for most LFS.

Hate to think if my beautiful Threadfins were delivered in this way.............

That's pretty much normal, though looks like they have lost a little bit of the water in there, they are normally about 50/50 water.

Fish are generally fed minimal if at all before being exported. They are packed (depending on species) with oxygen in very clean water, often with ammonia removing chips and/or carbon, some with zeolite, others like shrimp get mesh squares, some have almond leaves and others have cut up strips of plastic material to hide in.

They are packed grouped in bags or individually packed in small packs as above, generally for species that are super aggressive like puffers, some cichlids etc or fish that don't travel well in groups like cories etc....

Bags are double and triple packed in thick plastic bags, often with newspaper between bag layers to make the bag dark..

And sometimes with a medication in the water (not found out what this is yet)...

And bags are packed into a polystyrene box with heat packs and thin plywood sheets to stop bags rolling or moving and wrapped in newspaper then the lid is put on and the box is seriously taped up. And sometimes that box is then put into a cardboard box and sealed up again.

Fish like fighters have to be packed in small bags because if given too much space, they swim round and round and round and really damage their fins which means they generally die before they arrive... Keeping them packed  small means they are less stressed and don't damage themselves. They are ALL imported in bags that size, generally now the bags are that weird pyramid shape as it means the bags don't go flat.

Its the same with fish like discus and often angels as well, they are imported in bags much larger but narrower so they cant keep turning around and stressing themselves out.

It might seem shocking to those not in the trade but if you see fish imported in different ways, you find what works and you stick with it. I have seen fighter packs increase in size slightly and change from flat square packs to the pyramid packs in the last 5 years, rarely ever have problems now!

I think you'll find it's more important for the fish to have lots of air than lots of water when traveling. This is pretty standard procedure and some fish do not survive unfortunately. This is why I'm holding off on buying a betta. Type into YouTube ' the truth about Siamese fighting fish ' or somehting along those lines. There's a clip which holds more pics and better describes this process.

MBOU's comment has made me feel a little relieved now that she explained very well why the process is such.

And also if its only for a day or two, and they survive that, then they will soon forget it and recover.

Whew!

Most reactions

Back