What's new

How does one go about growing plant grass seeds ?

snailaquarium

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi there

I have bought seeds however I have wondered if you have to embed them I to soil or can you just sprinkle it on the top of the aquarium and expect them to sink? Thanks again in advance.

Byron

Reaction score
What plant species seeds are they? They will have to be "planted" in some manner. Floating seeds might get eaten by fish depending upon the fish and the plant species.

Too Many Hobbies

Reaction score
If it’s seeds, usually it needs a dry start (put soil in tank, sprinkle the seeds, spray the soil with water twice a day and keep tank covered). It will sprout after 5 days then you can submerge it after 10 days.
Sounds like you already have an established aquarium, so you may have to do dry start in a container using your seeds then submerged it when it grows. Though these plants may not be long lasting and you have to be very gentle when they sprout.

OP
S

snailaquarium

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Yes established aquarium, not sure of the species but will know presumably when they arrive. I had setup another bottle aquarium for growing grass in but its not really going well. Most seeds did not hatch. The substrate is compost. This was not intended for anything besides grass but may end up with snails to clear the glass if it develops algea.

Colin_T

Reaction score
Are you trying to grow grasses under water?
If you are, don't waste your time. Grasses are terrestrial plants that won't survive underwater.

If you are trying to grow aquatic plants from seed, that's a different story.

OP
S

snailaquarium

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I also have a packet of mini hairy grass. However using compost as substrate in a separate bottle aquarium is trouble because it is so light when you move the aquarium about it throws it up... Clouds the water.

OP
S

snailaquarium

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I also have a packet of mini hairy grass. However using compost as substrate in a separate bottle aquarium is trouble because it is so light when you move the aquarium about it throws it up... Clouds the water.
In an earlier post someone mentioned soil, what type of soil can you buy that sinks?

Byron

Reaction score
In an earlier post someone mentioned soil, what type of soil can you buy that sinks?
This is why the soil people recommend dry starting. Others can explain it, I've never done it as I won't use soil with fish.