How Do You Tell A Male From A Female In Tropical Fish?

MollyPlatty

New Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi, I just signed up cause I have some questions.

How do you tell male from a female in tropical fish? I have Platties. Orange & Black. I know I have a female cause she done had 7 babies from the first time and now, I have found more that she has had about 10 more in the tank, I have them all seprated from each other, the mother is in a breeding tank, and the first babies are together in a small 5 gal tank. which they are getting bigger, and the second fishies are in the bigger 20 gal tank, and the male, i ebleive its a male cause I only have one, he is a molly and is in small clear bowl. My question is How can I tell female from male in platties.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Josh
 
If you want to have a few baby livebearers, get two or three fat female you can tell they are females due to their fan shaped anal fin unlike the males elongated gonopodium- see pictures the male (platy) is on the left and the female platy is on the right.
male2.jpg
female.jpg


Quote taken from this article.
 
I just figured out that I have two Platies, :rolleyes: The female is orange and black spots & the male is yellow with orange tail.
Thanks for the reply.

Also, is it ok to transfer the babies from the big tank to a smaller tank? They are pretty tiny, compare to the first ones I've got. I didn't transfer the first babies till they got bigger, but these second ones are tiny, would it be ok to transfer them?



If you want to have a few baby livebearers, get two or three fat female you can tell they are females due to their fan shaped anal fin unlike the males elongated gonopodium- see pictures the male (platy) is on the left and the female platy is on the right.
male2.jpg
female.jpg


Quote taken from this article.
 
As long as your smaller tank is cycled it's fine to move them. :good:
 
With most Livebearers, I'd keep a ratio of 1 male/3 females. If you only have one female, she'll be pestered non-stop by the male and her life expectancy will be shortened.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top