How Do You Safely Remove Eggs From The Tank?

mark1979

Fishaholic
Joined
May 12, 2009
Messages
585
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Paignton/Devon
hey guys

i have some GBR eggs and want to take them out the tank as im affraid my fx5 will swallow them all up.

problem is they have been laid in a pit in the gravel,so i have no idea how to get them out safely. if they were on a rock i could just lift them out,but this seems tricky!!

If i leave them in there and put a pair of tights over the intake,so they dont get sucked in,would they be ok with my other fish.more rams,small keyholes and corys

any help would be great as they should hatch soon :-)
 
I'm sure I read that someone had used the hose of a gravel cleaner to suck some eggs up, I assumed at the time to abucket but it could have been a tank. Not sure if that would cause the eggs any harm, but it would be one hell of a rollercoaster ride!
 
I'm sure I read that someone had used the hose of a gravel cleaner to suck some eggs up, I assumed at the time to abucket but it could have been a tank. Not sure if that would cause the eggs any harm, but it would be one hell of a rollercoaster ride!

These eggs are adhesive & will not easily be syphoned off... the best to wait untill you have wrigglers (as somebody put it - and it is descriptive enough) and then syphon them out into a bucket or tank for seperate rearing.
 
I'm sure I read that someone had used the hose of a gravel cleaner to suck some eggs up, I assumed at the time to abucket but it could have been a tank. Not sure if that would cause the eggs any harm, but it would be one hell of a rollercoaster ride!

These eggs are adhesive & will not easily be syphoned off... the best to wait untill you have wrigglers (as somebody put it - and it is descriptive enough) and then syphon them out into a bucket or tank for seperate rearing.

realy!!!

that would be hell of a ride like said above!! wouldnt that harm them?
 
or scoop them out along with the gravel around them and put it all in the fry tank (keep separated from different substrates so things don't get complicated) :P once they are "wrigglers", replace the gravel in the main tank.
 
Have a good look around Mark, they may have moved them :good: I know my Aureus did this a few times, scared the poop outta me on a couple of occassions.
 
Awww... that's rubbish... Any chance they might have moved them to a safer location?

i dont think so,unless they have hidden them very well :-(

i was well looking foward to trying to raise them. i bought loads of stuff,fry food,another tank,small heater and filter :-(

maybe next time
 
If you can, next time, move the eggs then, I wouldnt normally recommend it, but move the eggs and use the airstone like I told you via PM.

They are rams and relatively young, so its not uncommon for them to eat the first few eggs batches and even the first few fry.

They get the idea in the end.
 
Have a good look around Mark, they may have moved them :good: I know my Aureus did this a few times, scared the poop outta me on a couple of occassions.


i have had a good look around,but i must admit i do have alot of places that they could of put them.

i will just have to keep any eye out.
 
right im back in this situation again

now they have decided to dig a pit right next to where all my corys hideout,DOH!!!

im going to take the eggs out before they get to wrigglers i think.

so is it best to scoop up the gravel and eggs in a small container and just place that in the fry tank. this way i wont be disturbing the eggs to much,and when they are wrigglers they will hopefully come out of the small container and into the tank
 

Most reactions

Back
Top