How do you clean out your tubes?? Staining? API test kit tubes that is.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Just scrubbed them in warm water with dishsoap and small bottle brushes, but I didn't clean them out straight after I last tested, and it's so hard to get them properly clean! I swear, the nitrite solution especially seems to stain the tube, and can still see which test tube I'd used for which test chemicals. So I worry about that contaminating the next test. Anyone else find the same thing?

Any methods you've used/advice is greatly appreciated!

Hmm yeah been there, was a pain to get clean! I soaked mine in a diluted Milton mix in the end and they did come clean after that

Hmm yeah been there, was a pain to get clean! I soaked mine in a diluted Milton mix in the end and they did come clean after that
Eeek! I just looked up what that is and checked Amazon, and there are warning signs all over the page;

• Causes skin irritation.
  • Contact with acids liberates toxic gas.
  • May be corrosive to metals.
  • Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects.
  • Use biocides safely. Always read the label and product information before use.
  • Very toxic to aquatic life.
  • Warning! Do not use together with other products. May release dangerous gases (chlorine).

• Gotta admit, the fact they emphasised this twice makes me too alarmed to use this stuff!

@Essjay ! Sorry to be a pest, but you're the best chemistry brain here! Whaddya think?
I need more nitrate test solution anyway, so I would have bought another API kit and got new tubes with it, if they hadn't jacked the price up even more. I bought the NT labs liquid test kit instead this time. Gotta learn how to use that soon!

@Essjay ! Sorry to be a pest, but you're the best chemistry brain here! Whaddya think?
I need more nitrate test solution anyway, so I would have bought another API kit and got new tubes with it, if they hadn't jacked the price up even more. I bought the NT labs liquid test kit instead this time. Gotta learn how to use that soon!
My LFS sells just the tubes for less than 2 bucks a tube

Eeek! I just looked up what that is and checked Amazon, and there are warning signs all over the page;

• Causes skin irritation.
  • Contact with acids liberates toxic gas.
  • May be corrosive to metals.
  • Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects.
  • Use biocides safely. Always read the label and product information before use.
  • Very toxic to aquatic life.
  • Warning! Do not use together with other products. May release dangerous gases (chlorine).

• Gotta admit, the fact they emphasised this twice makes me too alarmed to use this stuff!
Didn't know that! 😱😱😱 Well thankfully I had no issues after, it was just to get the staining off and I rinsed them very well ..but yeah, will not be using again!

I have never had test tubes discolour because I always rinse them a few times after each use. Usually four or five times under the hot tap.

You're organised and sensible! I'm naughty and left the solution in the tubes inside the box until the next time I needed to test, so it stained the tubes :blush:

But, I bet I'm not the only one who has done it! lol

I have never had test tubes discolour because I always rinse them a few times after each use. Usually four or five times under the hot tap
You're organised and sensible! I'm naughty and left the solution in the tubes inside the box until the next time I needed to test, so it stained the tubes :blush:

I was wondering how you managed to stain GLASS test tubes, lol

Guilty ! Iv left test tubes that long the stain isn’t even a colour on the chart anymore

ngl ive done the same a few times but its never stained the tube 🤷‍♂️

Have you never seen traces of blue that you can't seem to get out of the very bottom of the tube where you've tested nitrites? No matter how many times I bottle brush it, fill it with water and shake, blast water into the tube and tip it out again... but the remaining droplets still have a light blue tinge to them?

I think it's the chemicals they use. I don't know what they are, but some are powerful acids, right? That's why I tagged @Essjay , she'll know I'm sure!
Guilty ! Iv left test tubes that long the stain isn’t even a colour on the chart anymore
Thank you!! I'm not alone! My people, haha! These guys are making me feel like a total slattern, lol! It's just easy to mean to go and rinse them, but get distracted refilling the tank or whatever, and put the lid back on and forget!

I rinse the tubes 5 or 6 times by filling with cold water and emptying. Then half fill with cold water, finger over the top and give it a good shake, 5 or 6 times. Then leave it to drain for a few minutes then twist the end of a paper hanky, push it into the tube and twist it round and round till it's dry. This is how I found the nitrite reagents stain the tube if it's not cleaned straight away because the tissue changed colour. Lids are held under running water, allowed to drain for a couple of minutes then dried with the other end of the paper hanky.

If you leave the tube with the reagent in, it sticks to the glass and doesn't rinse off. It has to be scraped off.

The warnings don't worry me. I've used a lot worse in my time including gamma radiation. Back in the 70's we used an iodine isotope in the hormone lab at the hospital, it was a standard way of testing for hormones back then.

This is how I found the nitrite reagents stain the tube if it's not cleaned straight away because the tissue changed colour.

If you leave the tube with the reagent in, it sticks to the glass and doesn't rinse off. It has to be scraped off.

@Essjay , I love you!

SEE YOU GUYS!! I'M NOT CRAZY! THE BLUE DOES STICK AROUND AND ESSJAY CONFIRMED IT! :hyper::teacher:

SO YES, I'M LAZY/EASILY DISTRACTED/A SLATTERN FOR NOT RINSING THEM RIGHT AWAY, BUT. BUT! I'M NOT IMAGINING THE BLUE TINGE AND YOU CAN STAIN GLASS!

Most reactions

trending

Back