How Do I Glue Wood To Rock?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

daizeUK

Fish Botherer
Reaction score
I've got a piece of mopani wood that I want to stand upright in the tank, however it won't stand up on its own.  I am thinking of glueing the base to a flat rock which can be buried in the substrate and give the wood some support.

What can I use?  Silicone?  Wood glue?  Superglue?

Out of those 3 I would use silicone since wood glue and super glue use quemicals that might be dangerous to fish

I would also try using fishing wire and tie it together

The best bet is to use a tile and a stainless steel screw. All you need is an electric drill and a tile/glass bit which can be found at any hardware store or dept.

Silcone will eventually let loose. A better choice is aquarium safe epoxy.

AquaStik Epoxy Putty
p-400609-62768R_11-fish.jpg

AquaStik Epoxy Putty from Two Little Fishies is a multipurpose epoxy putty excellent for attaching aquascaping items. Nontoxic epoxy attaches corals, live rock, gorgonians, plants, and other items to each other or directly to glass. Unique Red color matches coralline algae, and the Grey blends with live rock perfectly. Drill, sand, or even saw after fully cured. AquaStik Epoxy Putty will bond to wood, concrete, ceramic, acrylic, metal, and fiberglass. Mixes in 1 minute, hardens in 20 and fully cures in 24 hours. For use in marine and freshwater aquariums, ponds and paludariums, reptile and small animal habitats.

or

HoldFast Epoxy Stick

p-517345-62769R-fish.jpg

Ensure strong bonds to explore creative aquascape possibilities. Instant Ocean HoldFast Epoxy Stick boasts extreme ease of use and superior bonding ability. Simply blend the two layers together to activate compound and apply. Cures to white in 30 minutes. After one hour, file, sand, and drill as needed. Use Instant Ocean HoldFast Epoxy Stick to build waterfalls, attach decorations, or bond live rock and corals - even underwater. Nontoxic to aquarium fish and invertebrates and is great for use in freshwater or saltwater.

Brilliant, thanks very much. 

Does the wood need to be dry to use epoxy?  I haven't started soaking it yet just in case.

I found D-D Aquascape Aquarium Epoxy on the Aquaessentials site for £3.25, that's the only reasonable price I've seen for anything so far, can anyone recommend this for use on wood?

I found some aquarium safe epoxy that I tried to use before and it wouldnt stick to the rock, the wood was fine though.  The wood I bought is drilled into the rock with a screw but I do have some silicone for my next project with wood

I would go the epoxy route... that or hotglue... everything with stick better dry. no question...

i would use any normal standard superglue depending on how heavy or how strong you need the bond i guess, i just used standard superglue from asda, to glue my moss and anubias to my wood, cant see why it wont work on rock n wood

Super Glue is generally not enough to hold rock to wood. And to arvin23, it's not harmful to fish so long as you use the kind with cyanoacrylate.

Best idea I saw was drilling a tile to the wood with a stainless steel screw. No worries there.

Yes I agree, I would drill the wood but unfortunately I think the wood is too thin at the base so it would just split.  It's kind of top-heavy so I don't think superglue will be enough, epoxy might be the only way.

Thanks for the tips.  I'll keep it dry until it's set.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back