How Do I Get Rid Of These Wiggly Worm Things?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AlitaConejita

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
In late November I noticed these wiggly worm things in my ADF tank. I posted here and someone identified them (don't remember the name) as essentially aquatic earth worms due to over feeding in my tank.

I reduced the amount of food I fed my ADFs and in mid December, I took the frogs out, turned off the filter, and the heater. I was out of town till mid January. When I came back, I put my remaining ADF (the other one jumped to its death when trying to transfer it) in a different tank.

I've left this wormy tank totally alone since mid December a no filtration, no heat, no water change. Today I was finally going to remove the water and clean everything out. I thought all those things would be dead by now but lo- and behold, the water is teaming with live ones. How do I get rid of them? Call me squeamish but I don't want to have contact with live ones :p

If the tank is worms only...empty the water and get rid of everything.   You are going to have to physically get rid of them.  Use some gloves or a shop vac.  I would then rinse it really good with warm/hot water and let it dry out.  Maybe even use a little bleach.   

when cleaning, empty the tank.. rinse the tank and you'll have a bucket with the gravel... have running water and another container with coiled water. rinse the worm gravel and place in boiled water.. will remove any large ones and kill any eggs/babies.
the thing is when using bleach it can discolour your gravel.. and if not rinsed all the way through will kill your fish.... and for the mean time, you can refill your tank (bare bottom) have the fish in.. but rinse out all filter material if not replaceable with aquarium water and you should be fine

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back