How do I get rid of hair algae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

jonatheber

Reaction score
I have a tank with live plants and a fluval light at 25% for about 1 1/2 hours a day ant at about 70% for about 4 hours a day. I have hair algae I keep plucking out of the tank... I have three Ottos and guppies in the tank, and they basically ignore the stuff. Does anything actually eat it? If I turn the light way down for a few days will it go away without killing off the live plants? Other suggestions?

Hi. I hate that hair algae. I would like to find a solution because I have the same problem. It often starts in a new setup . It can also come on new plants from store. Iā€™ve learned to rinse all of the plants really well before putting them in my planted tank. I am constantly doing water changes and adding stress zyme for the algae control. And itā€™s really upsetting because I have a tank with longfin electric blue rams that I am trying to breed. I donā€™t know what to do because Iā€™m never gonna get any eggs if the brown hair algae keeps taking over. Not to mention this particular algae can contaminate the eggs. I am so sick of algae . I donā€™t have algae in my larger tanks that have canister filters but they have a UV light inside of those. The every other tank is covered in algae.

Hi. I hate that hair algae. I would like to find a solution because I have the same problem. It often starts in a new setup . It can also come on new plants from store. Iā€™ve learned to rinse all of the plants really well before putting them in my planted tank. I am constantly doing water changes and adding stress zyme for the algae control. And itā€™s really upsetting because I have a tank with longfin electric blue rams that I am trying to breed. I donā€™t know what to do because Iā€™m never gonna get any eggs if the brown hair algae keeps taking over. Not to mention this particular algae can contaminate the eggs. I am so sick of algae . I donā€™t have algae in my larger tanks that have canister filters but they have a UV light inside of those. The every other tank is covered in algae.
Oh I want to add that many people use snails for algae control.

My Florida Flagfish eat hair algae, but they don't get along with many fish. Your best bet is to adjust light/ferns. Hair algae is usually from too strong or too much light.

My Florida Flagfish eat hair algae, but they don't get along with many fish. Your best bet is to adjust light/ferns. Hair algae is usually from too strong or too much light.
How low SHOULD I go? I mean, the Fluval is only on for about 6 hours a day at partial light. I'm considering turning it on brighter for 5 hours or so, and completely off for the rest of the time, to see if that gives the plants enough light but controls the algae.

How low SHOULD I go? I mean, the Fluval is only on for about 6 hours a day at partial light. I'm considering turning it on brighter for 5 hours or so, and completely off for the rest of the time, to see if that gives the plants enough light but controls the algae.
Each aquarium and plant has slightly different nutritional and light needs, so you could try that for 7 days and adjust accordingly. It takes me a few months with each aquarium to get it just right.

Try some algae eaters such as Mollies, Platies or Siamese Algae eaters(if your tank is big enough)

Huh. I have a tank with mollies and platies (and a pleco), but the mollies and platies are not algae eaters.

Huh. I have a tank with mollies and platies (and a pleco), but the mollies and platies are not algae eaters.
You are right. I think they have better food to eat that they won't touch the algae.

What is your light wattage?
I guess one method is to reduce the light brightness. The light brightness affect the algae the most.

I have a 2ft, 6W LED light. The algae is very minimal and I also have a Pleco and shrimps in the tank.
But my plants are Java Moss and Anacharis Elodea(low light requirements).
I turned on the light for 9 hours per day.

Another of my tank has a 16W LED light but I reduce the light to the lowest.( 10 steps).
It has more algae.

Also, add some fast growing plants such as Anacharis and Hornworts to compete with the algae. These plants will remove the nutrients in the water and compete with the algae.

Last edited:
For hair algae usually the preferred eaters are florida flag fish, mollies, and amphipods. With the exception of the amphipods you may need to significantly reduce feeding to get the others to eat hair algae; they need to be hungry enough to feel like eating it.

If you are talking about beard algae though, I don't think anything eats it. Usually hydrogen peroxide spot-treatment is the only way to go. After it has more or less died from hydrogen peroxide all sorts of tank inhabitance will clear it off plants or whatever it was anchored to.

I have a tank with live plants and a fluval light at 25% for about 1 1/2 hours a day ant at about 70% for about 4 hours a day. I have hair algae I keep plucking out of the tank... I have three Ottos and guppies in the tank, and they basically ignore the stuff. Does anything actually eat it? If I turn the light way down for a few days will it go away without killing off the live plants? Other suggestions?
Itā€™s Ment to be proper flying fox algea eaters but I think they can aggressive and bigger than ottos. I wanted one for my betta tank but apparently they can latch onto fish and suck their slime coating off ? canā€™t win age.

Stress Zyme for algae control? I never heard of this. I thought it was for slime coat for fish.

Sounds like a minor breakout. You probably have too few plants for what the fish create in plant food. 6-7 hours of light should not be a problem. Maybe try covering your LED light to reduce the intensity?..for a short time while the algae fades and new plants get established.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back