How Can You Tell......

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bubblej17

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
how do you sex cherry shrimps?
my shrimps are getting bigger now and was just wandering if i would be able to tell their sex yet? thanks in advance

You can tell their sex pretty early. Females are bright red, and males are almost crystal clear, with only a little reddish tint.

If you brought them all from an LFS, chances are their all females, shiny bright red things sell better then almost invisable things.

Breeders are where you get a good mix of both :good:

The females will have a yellow "saddle" on their back which the Males do not have. I have males that are very bright red also and get a reasonable mix of males/females in the ones I bought from the LFS. I find the younger shrimp dont have as much colour as the adults and some males are very pale.

I dont think on a commercial scale it would be viable for farms to split the males from the females so you will most likely get a good mix at a LFS as well.

excellent thanks guys in that case i have a good mix of females and males i ordered mine off a breeder on ebay,
what age do they become sexually active? if thats worded correctly lol, and can a female carry eggs without a male present? thanks

Agree with Barney on how to tell them apart. Yellow "saddle" is what I look for in females. Young males are a bit more difficult to tell. Generally males are less colourful and slimmer. Sometimes you get the odd females with less colour and males with more red so not easy just by colour.

It's strange that I find females were in greater proportions whenever I bought any shrimps both from shops and online. At one time I had all females (from different sources) and had to go to LFS to specially pick a male. Unfortunately I still ended up with a female :S :lol:

They should be able to reproduce at around 2½ - 3 months. Females can still carry eggs in the absence of a male but the unfertilised eggs get aborted (kicked off) within a couple of days.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back