How Can You Tell If You Have Real Altum Angels?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I bought 4 angelfish sold as Altum Angels . When I first saw them I though they were from my limited knowledge altums and the lad in the store who was selling them from his own collection of fish as he had got a pair said he bought them as Altums.

How do you tell/? I'll try and work out how to post a pic

It's not easy to tell for sure but I know a man that can. He's a breeder. As I don't think I'm allowed to link to other forums I'll just say uk angelfish ;)

The species Pterophyllum altum only occurs in its natural form, silver with black/brown vertical bars. It may be distinguished from the other two species by the sharper incline of the front of the head, the dorsal line, and a more pronounced dip or notch above the nose; I'm attaching an illustration of this which I assume is accurate, though I cannot now remember where I found this some years ago.  Also, the white space between the vertical bars is narrow than the bars themselves; the bars are more brownish and the intermediate bars are more prominent than on P. scalare.  I'm also attaching a couple photos of P. altum, the second by Jan Sevcik is easier to ID.  This is the largest of the three angelfish species at maturity.

I should also mention that there is an angelfish in the trade now that is often referred to by the common name as "Peruvian Altum" angelfish.  This is almost certainly not the species P. altum but actually P. scalare although it has something of a different body form.  The shape around the head is thought to not be reliable by some, so it may be best to examine the vertical stripes.

Byron.

Attachments

• Pterophyllum sp heads.jpg
    Pterophyllum sp heads.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,389
  • Pterophyllum altum1.jpg
    Pterophyllum altum1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,116
  • Pterophyllum altum11.jpg
    Pterophyllum altum11.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 824
My LFS recently had some Altums for sale, unfortunately I had no room for them but they were Altums for sure. Much "taller" and more angular than scalare. There is a marked difference between the two species.

cheers chaps. I think they are Altum but am aware that there are strains that look like them without being them. These are lovely looking and more vertical than your bog standard angel whcih I like

These are the only pics I have so far
IMG_7754_zps7485xgsq.jpg

IMG_7751_zpsmuannhjf.jpg

IMG_7746_zpsxk0pggrg.jpg

IMG_7745_zpshnem1ufi.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back