How Can I...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

azzaknight

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi my name is aaron and i have a 60L jewel aquarium.
in my community tank i have:
2x molly's
2x male guppy's
2x cherry barbs
2x shrimp ( dont know what type they are?!?)
3x tetras ( dont know what type they are either
2x endlers
1x corydoras catfish.

i want to breed my shrimp and i know i have 1x male and 1x female because my female one keeps laying eggs but none are surviving. im only 14 and this is my 3rd tank. i had a 30L before and i had my shrimp in there aswell.
any ideas on what i can do so that the eggs of the shrimp survive??
any comments welcome :D

Just been reading up on shrimp breeding and some females will develop and lay eggs without a male present, how do you KNOW you have a male and female?
And they don't 'lay eggs' in a certain place, they carry them around till they hatch, have you found them free floating or attached to plants etc?

I'm sure people who know ALOT more about shrimp might say different species behave differently so any chance you can ID them?
Or give a brief desc of what they look like, size etc.

I suppose it could be a few things;
- You may have 2 females
- Your male may not be fertilising properly
- The female isn't holding onto the eggs and protecting them.
- The shrimp feels too stressed by other fish to hold onto the eggs and breed successfully?

Are your water parameters ok?

Hope some of those questions might help.

Just been reading up on shrimp breeding and some females will develop and lay eggs without a male present, how do you KNOW you have a male and female?
And they don't 'lay eggs' in a certain place, they carry them around till they hatch, have you found them free floating or attached to plants etc?

I'm sure people who know ALOT more about shrimp might say different species behave differently so any chance you can ID them?
Or give a brief desc of what they look like, size etc.

I suppose it could be a few things;
- You may have 2 females
- Your male may not be fertilising properly
- The female isn't holding onto the eggs and protecting them.
- The shrimp feels too stressed by other fish to hold onto the eggs and breed successfully?

Are your water parameters ok?

Hope some of those questions might help.

theyre coulorles and are about an inch long.
just some questions:
does the female carry the eggs under neath body near the legs at the back??
i dont know alot about shrimp.
i got them about 2 years ago because i thought they looked cool. :shifty:
if i got more shrimp do you think that i might have more chance of the fry surviving??

Yep, near the back where the extra legs are.

Are the eggs actually getting to hatching stage? If not, and if this is a lack of a male, then a couple more shrimp probably would solve the problem.
Not sure how many additional shrimp would comfortably fit in your tank though.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you probably have amano shrimp as they are very common. Quite pretty too, I have some :)
amano3.jpg

Do they look like that?

yes, thanks thats the right ones! :good:

i was thinking of some more amano shrimp and maby some cherry shrimp
any ideas of some nice fish that are small and cheap?? :unsure:
i was thinking of 4 female guppies to add to my 2 male blue ones
dont know though :unsure:

You should up your shoal of Cories for starters. Corydoras prefer to be in groups of 6 or more.

You should up your shoal of Cories for starters. Corydoras prefer to be in groups of 6 or more.
when i got them at the sothern aquatics in poole, the guy said that they will be fine in a pair but then 1 died the next day and i havent had time to go and get some more.
any other suggestions on fish to get or what i could o to my 60L tank??

Most reactions

Back