How Can I Tell If My New Fish Is Pregnant? Im Still Learning.

thankyou...do you know a lot about pregnant fish ( guppy & platys)?or anythin for that matter to do with spotting pregnancy or birth?

I don't claim to be a pro on it but I've kept fish for a good few years and have spent a lot of time reading books and searching through forums. As you've probably guessed from my avatar I'm into discus and am currently trying my hand at breeding. I also keep marines so I've got a little experience :) Anything you need to know I'll be happy to tell you, and if I don't know I'll try and find an answer for you.

ur a god send...ok well im new to all of this and it seems that i have got a pregnant platy!!!
she has a dark patch at the back near her anal fin but i was wondering how long it could be b4 she gives birth to the fry?
also one of my guppys has been givin it about (pardon the pun) and she also could be do you know how long they are pregnant for and what signs i should be looking for?

im exited but scared at losing the fry also....as i have no moss or plant to put in the breeding net.....someone said i could use a bit of filter floss for them to hide in?

As I've said before I can't find a definate answer on the gestation period. Signs you should be looking for are extremely swollen stomachs, eating ravounously then almost stopping altogether. And in the late stages of pregnancy as mentioned before a small black patch (gravid spot) under the anal fin. Personally I wouldn't use anything in the breeding net, just keep an eye on her, once she's had the fry remove her.

Then you'll have to decide what you want to feed the fry on. I would recommend freshly hatched brine shrimp to start with then move on to crushed flake within a few weeks. Different people raise young on different foods, there's no right or wrong food really it's personal preference.

thank you ill not put the floss in then as i didnt think it was to wise!!!
im just worried i might have put her in there to soon and dont want to stress her or scare her!!!
also how offern am i supost to change the water? its about 20% isnt for my tank is a 10 gallon?

cheers...also i no this aint nothin to do with the topic but i cant message other people and it says im validating....oh and one more thing she is fat but more bulgy at the bottom not so much at the sides but dont no if that means anythin to u?

If she has a definate gravid spot then I'm 99.9% sure she's pregnant. As for the whole validation thing, did you get an email asking you to confirm your email address when you signed up? You have to open that and click the link to validate your account. If you don't you can't post in the main forums or send and receive pm's. It's an anti spam feature that a lot of BB's use.

I don't think they'd appreciate being pestered by other members. If you leave all the actvie admins a pm explaining the situation I'm sure they'll resolve it for you as soon as they can.

Most reactions

Back