How big is your Golden Dojo Loach?

Buckley

Reaction score
I’ve read that golden weather(dojo) loaches grow quickly in their first years of life. I’ve had mine in a 75 gallon since May and he’s(I think it’s a male) grown 5 inches in the past six months! The “max” length on them is 6”, yet mine is nearly 8” now. I don’t really want to get a 125 gallon, but if it’s necessary it’ll happen. How much bigger can I expect him to get?

Attachments

• A1EF3FA0-10B2-41B4-A521-BE42A3CA4FC4.png
    A1EF3FA0-10B2-41B4-A521-BE42A3CA4FC4.png
    345.8 KB · Views: 1,497
  • 939E9114-9405-43AB-90AF-00DC03EBB8A3.png
    939E9114-9405-43AB-90AF-00DC03EBB8A3.png
    325.1 KB · Views: 362
The max length isn't 6 inches, its around 12. I don't have one, but know someone with a 10 inch dojo. Great fish imo. Not sure how big yours will grow, we'll have to see.

The max length isn't 6 inches, its around 12. I don't have one, but know someone with a 10 inch dojo. Great fish imo. Not sure how big yours will grow, we'll have to see.
I’ve read 12” too but only in it’s natural habitat. Pretty cool that he could get that big!

I’ve read 12” too but only in it’s natural habitat. Pretty cool that he could get that big!
It is very cool. They can get to 12 inches when cared for right though. Your guy is shooting past 6 inches, so to say a 6 inch max in aquariums as some sites say is incorrect. I'm sure there are people with 6 inch dojos. Not always.

It is very cool. They can get to 12 inches when cared for right though. Your guy is shooting past 6 inches, so to say a 6 inch max in aquariums as some sites say is incorrect. I'm sure there are people with 6 inch dojos. Not always.
Makes sense! Thank you for responding!

I have 4 dojo loaches and the ones in my profile picture are currently 7 to 7 1/2 inches. The smaller two have caught up length wise but not as thick as the other. Got the 4th about 7 months ago and he has grown from 2 3/4 to 5 1/4 inches in that time. Do you feed yours by hand? They are by far my favorite fish and love to play.

I have 4 dojo loaches and the ones in my profile picture are currently 7 to 7 1/2 inches. The smaller two have caught up length wise but not as thick as the other. Got the 4th about 7 months ago and he has grown from 2 3/4 to 5 1/4 inches in that time. Do you feed yours by hand? They are by far my favorite fish and love to play.
I haven’t fed him by hand! He’s definitely not as playful as he used to be and doesn’t swim to the top as much anymore. He follows my hand to find his food though! I’m still not sure that he’s a male lol. He was a lone wolf when I got him from my LFS. I know they mainly breed in the spring so I’m thinking of getting him some buddies but I’m not sure how he’d like it. He schools with the kuhli’s when they’re not hiding though. Did you get your first three at the same time? Also do you know if their circumference depends on gender? Thanks in advance!

The biggest on is Lightning got him and Thunder I from my LFS store in May of 18. They were the only two they had alive the rest were dead. Sadly Thunder only lasted a month before passing. Three months later was able to finally find more, Cloud and Thunder II at a LFS about 60 minutes away. Lightning was very please with his new friends. Ended up getting a 4th in late April and named him Frosty.
As for the sexing, a male's pectoral fins are longer and thicker, giving the fins a triangular shape. Females have rounder pectoral fins. Males often appear to be standing up on their pectoral fins while resting on the bottom of the tank . I would say the one with the bloodworms in the picture is a female and the other a male.
Here is a video of a very large dojo
and a couple pictures below that might be useful in sexing
Japaneseweatherfishmaleandfemale_503975_7.jpeg
image_preview.jpeg

The biggest on is Lightning got him and Thunder I from my LFS store in May of 18. They were the only two they had alive the rest were dead. Sadly Thunder only lasted a month before passing. Three months later was able to finally find more, Cloud and Thunder II at a LFS about 60 minutes away. Lightning was very please with his new friends. Ended up getting a 4th in late April and named him Frosty.
As for the sexing, a male's pectoral fins are longer and thicker, giving the fins a triangular shape. Females have rounder pectoral fins. Males often appear to be standing up on their pectoral fins while resting on the bottom of the tank . I would say the one with the bloodworms in the picture is a female and the other a male.
Here is a video of a very large dojo
and a couple pictures below that might be useful in sexing
View attachment 95336 View attachment 95337
“He” is definitely a she based on those gender pictures. The pictures I posted are actually of the same dojo! That’s how much she’s grown since May. I definitely thought she was a male until she got bigger then I questioned it. That’s a monster dojo! His videos are great for acquiring knowledge on fish keeping too! Thanks for everything

I’ve read that golden weather(dojo) loaches grow quickly in their first years of life. I’ve had mine in a 75 gallon since May and he’s(I think it’s a male) grown 5 inches in the past six months! The “max” length on them is 6”, yet mine is nearly 8” now. I don’t really want to get a 125 gallon, but if it’s necessary it’ll happen. How much bigger can I expect him to get?
I have had Finley (the pinkish one) for almost 3 years and Floppy (deeper gold) for almost 2 months. Finley is close to 8" long but very slim compared to Floppy who is just a tad shorter but more rounded. Floppy was about 1 1/2 to 2" when I get him not so long ago. Sure he is going to grow quite a bit more. Had 2 common dojos I had to rehome due to size. One was 11" and the other 13"

Attachments

• 20210110_092554.jpg
    20210110_092554.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 960

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back