How Big Do Parrot Fish Get?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

sumner2k3

Reaction score
got a baby parrot fish and im just curious how big he will get?

Okay, i have some questions.
How big is the tank? What is the stocking? What are your water stats? How long has the tank been set up? Is it cycled? They usually grow to about 8 inches long average.

How big is the tank? What is the stocking? What are your water stats? How long has the tank been set up? Is it cycled? They usually grow to about 8 inches long average.

You cannot say that his fish will get 8 inches long, because you do not know what type of parrot fish it is.

King Kong Parrots will usually grow the biggest. I would say up to 10-12 inches. I have seen some GIANT King Kong Parrots. Then you have the regular blood parrot, maxing out at about 8 or 9 inches. The smallest of the bunch are the jellybean parrots, which on average I would say max out at about 6 inches...

If you want more information I suggest posting this on the "Hybrid Fish" part of the forum.

You cannot say that his fish will get 8 inches long, because you do not know what type of parrot fish it is.

King Kong Parrots will usually grow the biggest. I would say up to 10-12 inches. I have seen some GIANT King Kong Parrots. Then you have the regular blood parrot, maxing out at about 8 or 9 inches. The smallest of the bunch are the jellybean parrots, which on average I would say max out at about 6 inches...

If you want more information I suggest posting this on the "Hybrid Fish" part of the forum.

True, but i would assume it's a Blood Parrot or jellybean that is dyed. As they are cheapest and most attractive.

Since this is in the NW section I'm going to say 15" for a parrot.
If however it was in the hybrid section :p then I would say less, if you know what I mean.

Parrotfish are mostly tropical, perciform marine fish of the family Scaridae.Maximum sizes vary widely within the family, from 20 cm (TL) in the smallest species, such as the green parrotfish (Leptoscarus vaigiensis) to 1.5 m (TL) in the largest species, the bumphead parrotfish ( Bolbometopon muricatum). A commercial fishery exists for some of the larger tropical species. Their meat is rarely consumed in the US; however, it is considered a delicacy in many other parts of the world. Their bodies are deep, with large, thick cycloid scales, large pectoral fins and homocercal tail fins. The pectorals are the parrotfish's primary means of locomotion, the tail only used when speed is required. Some parrotfish females can turn into male parrotfish.
---------------
Stella

Parrotfish are mostly tropical, perciform marine fish of the family Scaridae.Maximum sizes vary widely within the family, from 20 cm (TL) in the smallest species, such as the green parrotfish (Leptoscarus vaigiensis) to 1.5 m (TL) in the largest species, the bumphead parrotfish ( Bolbometopon muricatum). A commercial fishery exists for some of the larger tropical species. Their meat is rarely consumed in the US; however, it is considered a delicacy in many other parts of the world. Their bodies are deep, with large, thick cycloid scales, large pectoral fins and homocercal tail fins. The pectorals are the parrotfish's primary means of locomotion, the tail only used when speed is required. Some parrotfish females can turn into male parrotfish.
---------------
Stella

Pssst, he's talk about hybrid blood parrot cichlid, not saltwater parrotfish. But welcome to forum!

---------------
Stella

Lol someones been using Google

i just swaped min with my fish shop and i had 2 and thay was as big and a fist

---------------
Stella

Lol someones been using Google

Lol you meant someones been using Wikas, all thing he/she do is copy words then paste it.

sad lol
Normal parrots will grow, 51/2 inch to about 9" max.All depends on the breed.I've seen a humungus parrot cichlid at a sealife centre, which they said was given in, must of been 3 1/1inches thick.
They need at least a 30 gal for growing to juvie stage, 55gal is ideal at about 6", but for a fully grown and large adult a 75gal.

Most reactions

Back