Household Ornaments In A Tank?

karigupi

Fish Herder
Joined
Apr 12, 2009
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Northants
Can you put household clay ornaments in a tank? How would I treat them first?

I was in the loft last night & I found a box of things from my fen shui faze a few years back, there are some lovely big pebbles which will go in the new tank, but there are also lots of ornaments, clay or ceramic.

I saw some tank pictures last night & some people use mugs as caves & ornaments covered in java moss, giving a kind of lost city look, what do you think? Nice idea or slightly mad??
 
I put a plant pot in mine - Just gave it a good scrub before hand :) But if you do becareful you dont scrub to much as you might damage it :P
 
cheers, thats great thank you both, I promise not to make it too tacky, i'm thinking Lost City of Atlantis rather than a flood at a pound shop lol.
 
Hi karigupi :)

Anything that is safe for humans to eat off is OK to put into a tank. Other ceramics are questionable because they may have glazes containing lead, or other toxic substances that could leach out into the water.
 
Never boil un-fired clay pots or things though.

It may have an airbubble (which would have exploded it if it had been fired) in it which could burst and spray boiling water across the kitchen.

Youd do best simply heating it in an oven to 70 or so degrees and hold it at that temp for a while - heat it fairly slowly, so maybe oven on to 50 degrees first then crank it up once temp is achieved. This will kill off all bacterias and nasties without running the risk of explosion.
 
I saw a photo of a tank that has a Coke cola Can in it. I not sure why it looked awful. If you do it right using mugs, plates and stuff could look cool if you're creative about how you do it. You could turn it into an art piece that would be fun. You could call it "Fish in a Humans World" or something.

Have fun with it I would like to see photos.
 
Thank you everyone for your replies, I have found the bits I remembered, dont know where Budda has gone but never mind, so I have a nice large terracotta pot, 10 large 3ish inch white pebbles, a lovely prosperity symbol carved into a chunk of slate & a bag full of small glass pebbles.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top