hospital/holding tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gi4get

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I know that one should isolate new fish before introducing them into an established tank. What kind of tank is appropriate for this purpose? This 'housing' tank also needs to double as a hospital tank. It will need to house fish no larger than black neons or guppies. Would a 2.5 gal. be okay or should I go larger? Do I need a heater? Should I just look into getting a second tank? I really want to get some more fish but feel I shouldn't until I figure this out. Thanks for the help :)

I think a 5 gal is the minimum size, since it's so hard to control the water parameters in a very small tank. However, I have a 1 gal tank as well, for doing things like salt-dips, but that isn't intended for any "in-patient" care.

You will need the same conditions in the hospital tank as in your main tank, only smaller. ie. heater, matured filter etc.

ack...that means I have to drop another 50 bucks :(. Five gal. makes sense in terms of dosing. What about for just an isolation tank? Do you think 2 gal. would be okay (including filter, heater, etc.)? You've always had good advice :). Thanks.

gi4get said:
ack...that means I have to drop another 50 bucks :(. Five gal. makes sense in terms of dosing. What about for just an isolation tank? Do you think 2 gal. would be okay (including filter, heater, etc.)? You've always had good advice :). Thanks.
Sadly, fish keeping is not a cheap hobby. However, if you hang around yard/boot sales, keep an eye on the local paper etc. you can often pick up bargains. Small tanks particularly because they are most often bought by newbies who don't understand about cycling, kill off their fish and then conclude that fish keeping isn't the hobby for them.

I've actually got to set up a 20 gal hospital tank because as my main tanks get bigger, I've got to accommodate more and more fish in a hospital/quarantine tank.

lol...not complaining of course, just commenting ;). Here's why I'm really asking....I have a 5 gal. with four cardinal tetras and am looking to buy two more (complete the school). I've learned through um...experience not to just toss in new fish (lovely disease and such). I want to by a small tank to use for isolation before dropping in the new cardinals. I would be nice if this isolation tank could also be used as a hospital tank although, the more I learn the more I think not. I know a good lfs where I can find another 5 gal. with hood for $15 however, that's not including a filter, heater, etc. Should I just nab that or nab the 2 gal.?

gi4get said:
lol...not complaining of course, just commenting ;). Here's why I'm really asking....I have a 5 gal. with four cardinal tetras and am looking to buy two more (complete the school). I've learned through um...experience not to just toss in new fish (lovely disease and such). I want to by a small tank to use for isolation before dropping in the new cardinals. I would be nice if this isolation tank could also be used as a hospital tank although, the more I learn the more I think not. I know a good lfs where I can find another 5 gal. with hood for $15 however, that's not including a filter, heater, etc. Should I just nab that or nab the 2 gal.?
Personally, I'd go for the 5 gal, but be aware the price can quickly mount up if you have to buy a filter, heater etc. One of those new thermoheaters might be a good idea - it costs less than a seperate heater and filter.

gi4get said:
harmmmm.....combo heater and filter? do explain :)
I've seen Interpet Mini Thermo-heaters for sale and I believe Eheim do a small one too. I know you can't get Interpet in USA, but here's a link to a UK site that sells them, for your reference:

Thanks for the link. I didn't know such products existed. Now I just need more money :D. I guess that's why I'm in school! ;) Gotta feed the addiction :wub:

Hi gi4get, :D

May I suggest you forget about getting another 5 gal. and go right for a 10 gal. tank? The reason I mention this is because you will have twice the size for a price that may be the same as or even better than a 5. And the heater, filter, etc will probably be the same. A 10 gal. tank seems to be the most common small tank these days and is often sold as a starter kit.

Do you have a Petland Discount near you? I normally do not have a lot of good to say about chain stores, but this one (which I think is East coast based) often has good buys on tank set-ups.

Last Christmas I bought starter kits for a friends children and got the 10 gal. tank, hood, filter and pump, gravel, filter floss--everything except a heater for $28.

In the long run, unless you can get used equipment (which is often a steal!) a starter set like that one might be the best value for your money.

Not to mention, of course, that soon you will be looking for 20 gal. When the bug bites, it often bites hard!!!! LOL :lol:

the bug bites and its hard

my 1st tank is 4ft 50 gallon im allread :nod: y now contonplating on buying a 8ft by 3half ft

ohhhh myyy the fwishys i could have i could join them for a dip in it lolol jks of course

actually I wanted to start out with a 20 gal. H, but I live on the third floor of an unair-conditioned dorm and have to move twice a year (not to mention vacations), not to mention space restrictions :(. once i move to a more perm. residence, i'm going for atleast a 20 gal H....or L.....or both :D

at the price you quoted, i wish we had a petland discount near by. we have petsmart :sick: , and the typical lfs.

I see what you are saying gi4get. In your situation a 5 gal makes a lot more sense since it is much more portable than a 10 gal. :D

My best friend moved to Florida a year ago and before he did he had to make several trips there to rent an apartment, etc. Every time he went I had houseguests - the fish in his 5 gal tank. It was pretty easy to move back and forth and no fish were lost in the process.

But let me make another suggestion while we are on the subject of portable pets. Have you considered the Dwarf African Frogs? They are cute as can be and 2 can live very well in a 1 gal. mayonnaise jar from a deli. When you need to move, just screw the lid on and go! No heater of filter needed. :D

Thanks so much Pondfreak. One of the locations is around the corner from a lfs near my parents' house. It's always good to find another fish shop! :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back