Hoplo Catfish Meeting Swordtails.

Could there possible be ammonia present in the water?
And well done for correcting your mistakes
good.gif

Could there possible be ammonia present in the water?
And well done for correcting your mistakes
good.gif
If there is, I will have to change water again tomorrow. But the funny thing is that I did a 80 or 90% water change (left enough water so that the fish could still be covered) and the catfish keeps doing the same thing.
But I doubt that ammonia would cause this for him, as he's been used to less frequent but 100% water changes before and didn't behave like this, he was usually calm except for dinner time and when I'd go near the tank. Now he seems hyperactive and for some reason it's always that same wall he's picking to move his mouth over. If I cover it, he will direct his attention towards the door's white (top of the aquarium).

All this happened ever since the filter was put in. He didn't attack it but now he sometimes sniffs it and tries to push it up (uses his back to push it). Maybe he wants it raised even more?

The red xipho keeps hiding under the filter often while the other two have taken the top as their territory. Now I'm a bit worried about the red (albino) one. I don't understand why she prefers to sit there since the catfish constantly fans the water there.

One good thing about Tzuppy spazzing out would be that he managed to carry all the waste towards the filter due to his huge tail. Now the floor is very clean.

Did a 60% water change this time. Tzuppy flashed white for a few seconds (scared) and then he got back to his normal dark-brown color. Yesterday his calm didn't last for more than 10 seconds. Once I went out of the room, he restarted his odd behavior. Today, he seems to have calmed down but how long will it last?

Also, the two girls in the tank started defending their territories. The alpha is the black one (which I named Diamond) and she allows the male to stay with her atop the filter, the albino (Bee) is preferred by the male (Cracker) though. She gets to live under the filter.
For some reason, Bee keeps standing by the catfish's side, even though that's not a good idea, as he will eventually start another vortex...

Yeah... that didn't last long. He's at it again. What in the world could be so interesting on that same wall? Maybe he's not used to high water levels or something... But why is he following white stuff? (such as the door, a notebook with a white rabbit on it, a magazine that had a white stripe).

I also read something quite disappointing about Hoplo Catfish: That their maximum lifespan known so far is 8 years. Mine has been alive for at least 9 (not counting the time he spent while in the store when he was 3 cm long).
I hope he won't have problems :( That makes him a very old fish...

Did a 60% water change this time. Tzuppy flashed white for a few seconds (scared) and then he got back to his normal dark-brown color. Yesterday his calm didn't last for more than 10 seconds. Once I went out of the room, he restarted his odd behavior. Today, he seems to have calmed down but how long will it last?

Also, the two girls in the tank started defending their territories. The alpha is the black one (which I named Diamond) and she allows the male to stay with her atop the filter, the albino (Bee) is preferred by the male (Cracker) though. She gets to live under the filter.
For some reason, Bee keeps standing by the catfish's side, even though that's not a good idea, as he will eventually start another vortex...

Yeah... that didn't last long. He's at it again. What in the world could be so interesting on that same wall? Maybe he's not used to high water levels or something... But why is he following white stuff? (such as the door, a notebook with a white rabbit on it, a magazine that had a white stripe).

I also read something quite disappointing about Hoplo Catfish: That their maximum lifespan known so far is 8 years. Mine has been alive for at least 9 (not counting the time he spent while in the store when he was 3 cm long).

I reckon hes actually ttrying to hide under the filter, rather than push it out.. I think you need some objets, rocks or shelter for him to hide in/under, just make sure they are suitable for fish tanks (dont give off anything to affect the water)

I reckon hes actually ttrying to hide under the filter, rather than push it out.. I think you need some objets, rocks or shelter for him to hide in/under, just make sure they are suitable for fish tanks (dont give off anything to affect the water)
Well, that wouldn't be a problem if he were only trying to hide under it. But he is actually pushing it up (trying real hard) lol.
I could get or make a decor out of rocks but they'd have to be unmovable so that if he moves frantically around he cannot injure himself or other fish by tumbling the rocks over him.

But all these years he hasn't been so hyperactive. He'd usually just sit there like a rock and only come when someone approached the aquarium. If I'd go there, he would just follow me to any wall, if someone else went there, he'd splash at them.
Now, he rarely comes where I am. He seems more interested in trying to "eat" the wall. Unless he's scratching his nose on it or something, but he doesn't do that to any other wall. He is eating his daily dose of food and leaves a bit for his roommates, which quickly get rid of it so no food is wasted.
He also started following the red swordtail around whenever he sees her (the only time he stops frantically making circles with the snout on the wall). She follows him too. I wonder if they're arguing or just curious about each other.

I would worry less about his behaviour and more about the conditions he's living in. Once everything is in place for a perfect environment his behaviour will settle and he'll be enjoying it. how about getting a piece of drift wood? thats heavy enough to not be pushed around and he can have some cover

Well, that wouldn't be a problem if he were only trying to hide under it. But he is actually pushing it up (trying real hard) lol.
I could get or make a decor out of rocks but they'd have to be unmovable so that if he moves frantically around he cannot injure himself or other fish by tumbling the rocks over him.

But all these years he hasn't been so hyperactive. He'd usually just sit there like a rock and only come when someone approached the aquarium. If I'd go there, he would just follow me to any wall, if someone else went there, he'd splash at them.
Now, he rarely comes where I am. He seems more interested in trying to "eat" the wall. Unless he's scratching his nose on it or something, but he doesn't do that to any other wall. He is eating his daily dose of food and leaves a bit for his roommates, which quickly get rid of it so no food is wasted.
He also started following the red swordtail around whenever he sees her (the only time he stops frantically making circles with the snout on the wall). She follows him too. I wonder if they're arguing or just curious about each other.

I tried water changing, but he keeps at it. So can't help but be worried. I've also noticed that his snout is a bit lighter color than the rest of his body. Could it be a fungus? Though I remember my other catfish having the same blot on their snout, only that theirs was darker, somewhat black.
Before I add anything to the tank, I have to get that dechlorinating substance so that I can make more water changes if needed per day. Dad said I'll have to wait till Monday. -_-

Even worse, one of my female swordtails seems to be bullied around by the albino female. It used to be the other way around before. She also keeps the fin on her back lowered whenever the other two are near her and sits under the filter like that. She sometimes raises the fin when I turn on the lights or when she is feeding or away from the others. Is that a clamped fin syndrome?

Six days so far since the new arrivals are in the tank. The albino swordtail somehow leads the whole tank to do her bidding. The catfish has regained his color but still goes over that wall from time to time but not as often.

I made a square floater out of a straw so that the fish food on top of the water will not scatter. The fish didn't even go to eat there yet... They seem to prefer the bloodworms, but Tzuppy vacuums those too fast. -_- He's the vacuum cleaner of the tank.

70% water change. Fish are more active again. But somehow, my poor Berlin swordtail female Diamond keeps getting pushed out of the group while the Hoplo and other 2 swords get along nicely in a crew. Diamond used to be the dominant one in the tank and I was afraid that if any fish would die first, it would be the albino. But now that one's very much alive.

Lol log thread.

I'm worried about the Berlin swordtail female. Even though she seems more active now and keeps her fins wide again, she doesn't bother to eat or at least I haven't seen her eating. She now stays at the top of the tank or atop the filter, but something's not right with her. She seems to be staring into space while all other fish just zoom around or hang out with the catfish.

Attachments

• Diamond.jpg
    Diamond.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 47
  • Bee and Cracker.jpg
    Bee and Cracker.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Swordie team.jpg
    Swordie team.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 65
I'm worried about the Berlin swordtail female. Even though she seems more active now and keeps her fins wide again, she doesn't bother to eat or at least I haven't seen her eating. She now stays at the top of the tank or atop the filter, but something's not right with her. She seems to be staring into space while all other fish just zoom around or hang out with the catfish.

have you got your dechlorinator today?

have you got your dechlorinator today?
No, and I'm still waiting on my dad to get it. I hope he gets it tomorrow as he was at work most of the day. Pet shop's closed in the evening.
Even if I would have asked him to leave me money, he'd have to charge my tramway card (which he doesn't want to do).

And when I do get it, I hope it won't be some crap that will turn my fish upside down...

Tzuppy sure eats like a pig when it's feeding time. I can barely get the food to reach the other fish. He eats all the flakes and all the worms (and obviously won't stop eating so I'm afraid that if I'd keep putting food, I would end up with one overfed fish and 2-3 hungry ones). I guess the straw that's supposed to limit the flakes from spreading is not good in this case. Any ideas on what to do about that?

He can smell flakes from across the tank so hiding them never works. Same with worms.

Tzuppy sure eats like a pig when it's feeding time. I can barely get the food to reach the other fish. He eats all the flakes and all the worms (and obviously won't stop eating so I'm afraid that if I'd keep putting food, I would end up with one overfed fish and 2-3 hungry ones). I guess the straw that's supposed to limit the flakes from spreading is not good in this case. Any ideas on what to do about that?

He can smell flakes from across the tank so hiding them never works. Same with worms.

I hand feed my fish bloodwords, how about trying that and then you know who is eating what

I hand feed my fish bloodwords, how about trying that and then you know who is eating what
I feed them with tweezers, but no doubt Tzuppy will eat out of anything. He's not scared of hands, but the others are since they are new. And dangling a bunch of worms in there will only get his attention, the other 2 may zip around and grab some, but Diamond is too shy to even try that.
I finally got her to eat some flakes, but the catfish then ate most of those too. I hope she got a good share of them at least...
Though I'm still worried for her, she still seems to be sitting at the top of the water too often. Not even sure if she went there after the flakes or she has trouble breathing.

80% water change today, Diamond no longer stays at the surface, but still won't eat and wonders like a zombie through the tank. My red swordtail female won't leave her alone when she tries to hide under the filter. The male also dislikes Diamond.

I have cleaned the filter in tank water and... what I have found there is WEIRD: they look like chunks of meat. But they are not fry. They don't look like bloodworms either. Just what IS that stuff? o_O

If Diamond isn't getting any better, I guess I'll have to quarantine her tomorrow or something. Her head seems bigger than her body somehow...

Most reactions

trending

Back