Honey Gourami's In A 48ltr Tank X

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lil-x-me...x

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hiyaa again, i havent wrote on this thread for a while now but i thought id pop back on, due to a question on my stocking. :good:

i have a 48ltr currently stocked with:
.9 neon tetras
. 3 ottos (there was four, but cant find him this morning :unsure:)
. and a zebra loach (currently waiting to be took back to the pet store.)

i am thinking of replacing my zebra loach with a honey gourami, thinking a male one. However for the future i am thinking about having a tank just with some honey and red honey gouramis in. i was thinking up to six, 3 females, 3 males if i could...however i believe its 1m:2f, so would it be best just having three or having two males and 4 females (making me have then 6 gouramis in total.) would i then be able to have 4 or 5 ottos in with them...to keep the tank clean.

i have kept gouramis in the past, and the smaller ones seemed to be more peacefull, however i am aware they can be terrotorial...would 2 males and 3 females be ok? or would the two males or all the females bicker?

i am also happy having about 3 gouramis, and then having about 5 neons in , along with about 3-4 ottos in.

i hope they are all suitable suggestions...i dont think id be over stocking in any of them :blush:

thanks x

You can keep otos with honey gouramis thats what i have in my biorb.

You should get 2 males and 4 female gouramis.

ok then, so about 4 or 5 ottos and 6 gouramis, you dont think they would be any bickering or fighting would you?

also do they require any certain tanks eg a fairly planted one, a cave, a piece of bogwood ect.

thanks x

A very planted tank.

Gouramis like t use plants as cover so they feel secure and otos like to sleep on the leaves.

Make sure you get bogwood to soften the water up.

Everythings fine try to get one or two plants then your tank wil be perfect.

Make sure they're are big leaved.

ok then, i need some more plants anyway, so will shop for 4 new plants...giving me a total of 7 plants. or it may look too crowded and im not sure i like my tank too crowded lol. that sound ok? and will look for some big leaved plants aswell. x

so, so far im starting of with getting one male honey gourami.

then lets say, 2 neons go :( then 1 female honey/red honey gourami comes in...ect. untill i get to my 6 gouramis lol

that sound like a good plan? :rolleyes: i cant believe im planning out when i can replace my tetras! :blink:

lol thanks x

YEp that sounds fine.

Make sure you get the otos last and when you get the otos get all 5 of them a the same time.

rite ok, well at the moment i have 4 in, (however i cant find the fourth one this mornin :unsure:)
so would i just get my next 1, (or two!) after all the gouramis? how long after?

also are they picky on food? i have flake food, mini pellets and bloodworm.

thanks x

When you get your gouramis you can put two gouramis every two weeks so i'm saying after a month or six weeks.

feed them flakes as thats like the only thing that fits in their mouth.

They some times do get internal bacteria dieseases like dropsy it's not very common but keep some melafix with you just incase.

They can have mini pellets and blood worms they love it.

As long as the mini pellets don't sink too fast. Also are the mini pellets hard or soft like flakes?

erm...well they are king british, if that helps? erm...my neon tetras seem to eat it...also i believe they float abit untill a fish pulls it down a little...erm are htey soft? soft being like what? they are fairly hard, they wont cruble in your finger like flake food, if thats what you mean...i guess ill have to try it lol x

???? :dunno:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back