Honey gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
OoooH! They are so cute!!! Your tank is gorgeous, they are going to be so happy with you. Everything you have been told is correct. I have 3 female pearl gouramis in my tank and they get along great. The biggest one sometimes chases the others but nothing vicious. I havenā€™t been able to find a male and since like you I donā€™t plan on breeding them I have quit looking for one, I am completely content with my 3 females.
Post another picture of your thank when they are happily settled in.
Thank you! They are just the cutest little things. Very settled in now. Super friendly, always come out to see me when I walk up to the tank! I thought they were supposed to be shy šŸ˜‚

One of them actually seems a little deformed, thought I was going to lose it but its fine now. It has a hump on its head and symmetrical bumps by its tail, and almost looks white. at first I thought it was starved and bony but its eating well and behaving as the others do! Will try and get a pic of that one.

I love these little guys so much that I've actually ordered all new stuff just for them, planning on creating a jungle in the tank which I'm sure they will LOVE. Just got to get the diatoms under control. It's looking pretty brown at the moment!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211014_183517_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    Screenshot_20211014_183517_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20211014_183517_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    Screenshot_20211014_183517_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 82
You can clearly see the lump on the head and can almost make out the lump just in front of the tail (it's on both sides)

Attachments

• IMG_20211017_085807_edit_560533534094677.jpg
    IMG_20211017_085807_edit_560533534094677.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 69
Gouramis are shy when there are other fish around but on their own they are the friendliest fish around. Mine eat out of my hands and are always right up to the glass when Iā€™m around. They are definitely my favorite fish along with panda Cories.
I see what you mean by the deformity hopefully someone who knows of such things will come and comment.
For your diatoms I can suggest something I used when I had some, itā€™s called Purigen and it goes in your filter. It greatly helps with the diatoms and after it keeps your water crystal clear. Do a search for it here and you will find out all about it and how to use it.
Enjoy your little guys I know I do mine although they are big guys now.

Gouramis are shy when there are other fish around but on their own they are the friendliest fish around. Mine eat out of my hands and are always right up to the glass when Iā€™m around. They are definitely my favorite fish along with panda Cories.
I see what you mean by the deformity hopefully someone who knows of such things will come and comment.
For your diatoms I can suggest something I used when I had some, itā€™s called Purigen and it goes in your filter. It greatly helps with the diatoms and after it keeps your water crystal clear. Do a search for it here and you will find out all about it and how to use it.
Enjoy your little guys I know I do mine although they are big guys now.
Thanks I will look into that! Have cleaned it all off now and it looks lovely but I'm sure it will be back!

My deformed little guy has gone missing today, all fine last night but absolutely no sign of him today. Am wondering if its possible for my stock to eat an entire body overnight!?! Very sad!

Thanks I will look into that! Have cleaned it all off now and it looks lovely but I'm sure it will be back!

My deformed little guy has gone missing today, all fine last night but absolutely no sign of him today. Am wondering if its possible for my stock to eat an entire body overnight!?! Very sad!
Did you find him? How are the others doing?

No sign at all sadly. The others seem fine and two even seem to have formed a little pair. I will monitor them for a couple of days and if all seems well I am going to go and get some more as I imagine the one alone won't fair too well if I do have a pair? Not sure if the same applies to these sweet little guys but I have heard that for other types of fish? It may not be a pair, they look identical but they are still tiny!

If I do I may get 3 making a nice little group of 6 but I will not be taking my daughter with me so I get a really good look at the fish I'm buying this time šŸ¤£

Such a shame, all the other fish seem very healthy and the water is perfect and stable. So I am hoping it was linked to his deformity!

I have 3 honeyā€™s and they definitely hide really well. I donā€™t know that Iā€™ve gone a whole day without a spotting but Iā€™ve definitely been ā€˜missingā€™ at least one for a good handful of hours. They get real shy at times.

If I was you and if you have room in your tank, I would get 3 more. Also, you never know the other one might show up again then youā€™ll have 7 !!!

Hi, the best and easiest way to sex Honey's is by the colour of the trim on the dorsal and anal fins.
Males have yellow and females have orange.

A big group is best ;)

Hi, the best and easiest way to sex Honey's is by the colour of the trim on the dorsal and anal fins.

A big group is best ;)
So I got two more (planning on more) the new guys are silver in colour. So I'm assuming they are female but can females also come as pale yellow? First two are the newbies and the others are two of my older ones, the 3rd looks the same as them.

Attachments

• IMG_20211030_220059_edit_584506803148831.jpg
    IMG_20211030_220059_edit_584506803148831.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20211030_215925_edit_584583550171736.jpg
    IMG_20211030_215925_edit_584583550171736.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20211030_220019_edit_584609274133190.jpg
    IMG_20211030_220019_edit_584609274133190.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20211030_220010_edit_584543143121742.jpg
    IMG_20211030_220010_edit_584543143121742.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 56
So I got two more (planning on more) the new guys are silver in colour. So I'm assuming they are female but can females also come as pale yellow? First two are the newbies and the others are two of my older ones, the 3rd looks the same as them.
Those are different colortypes but I think they are males as well (can't see the first one properly ?

Those are different colortypes but I think they are males as well (can't see the first one properly ?
The one with the stripe has very rounded fins. They were taken the day I got them, they have changed a little now they are settled. The one with the stripe does like to flirt!

I was always under the impression that females could also be more colourful but the girl in the shop was adament šŸ˜‚ tbh I don't like going in there, I think the staff act very stuck up but they had huge hastifolia in so I had to buy some and noticed these guys haha

There is no agrression so far and they are really interactive with each other so I do hope it lasts šŸ˜‚

A big group is best ;)
Sorry, but this is inaccurate, thanks to the insistence of breeders in producing a large variety of colour-variants.

A more consistently accurate way would be to look at the dorsal fins. Males end in a point, whilst females are more rounded at the end.
In the near future, that single female will get increasingly harassed by the boys and, left to their own devices, the boys will get aggressive towards each other.
(Lots of space and hiding places/plants, should lessen this).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back