Home Made Python.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Hi Nick,

Can I just clarify something with you please ?

You describe in your main write-up - after the syphon has started - that the tap can then be turned nearly off (albeit this reduces the effectiveness of gravel cleaning).

Now, I would like to do the gravel cleaning part as effectively as possible. However, we`re on a water-meter and I`ve heard that the python can be quite wasteful of water. So, does the tap have to be on full-belt to do gravel cleaning ? Or is maybe a `medium` setting OK ?

Thanks in advance !
:)

Quick response to all those who don't see the point of a Python... if, like me your sink is HIGHER than your tank, a simple syphon will not work AT ALL.

Secondly, I am about to try this DiY python (just ordered the parts); and though the idea seems great, I do have a worry with it... Nick, I like you will use the hozelock 3-way Y junction. To create a good vaccuum, a T-junction would be MUCH better. It would avoid having tap-water flowing both ways with equal force until it finds a point-of-no-resistance in the open (shorter) end, thus syphoning out the water from the longer pipe. A T-junction would effectively create a "low resistance" straight flow out...

e.g.:
Code:
TAP
  v
  |
  |
  |----//---TANK  
  |
  |
  v
  x
SINK
That said, hozelock doesn't do T-junctions... I found on eBay some plastic T-junctions, but none in the right diameter. I will look around, and keep you updated. I'll do some tests both with the hozelock Y-junction and the plastic T-junction... (might be a little more work to fit the pipes, but one might not need the end-connectors, just a couple of pipe-clamps to hold them on... Then there is also the hozelock 4-way connection which might work, but costs alot more...

Test results to follow :p
Michele

Hi Guys,

I just built one of these using clear pvc pipe and a plastic T connector. Diameter is 12mm (1/2 inch)

I connected it up but when i try and create the vacuum all that happens is the water flows down the pipe towards the tank

I've played about with the tap on differen tpressures but cant seem to get it working.

Any ideas on this?

Been trying to do this for weeks now but not found any hozelock or similar fittings that will take 3/4 19mm hose!
Even drove for an hour to B&Q Coventry to see if they had any, they said they stopped selling them 2-3 years ago :(

Can this be made will standard 1/2 12.5mm hose?

I am assuming it pose to be 3/4 to allows debris and large objects down with ease and prevent blockages.

AT present tempted to buy a official python.

Thanks in advance!

all i get is a small trickle out the end of the hose

i turned it on full then almost off and inbetween also but still only the little trickle or a tank full of cold water :no:

Help

Will something like this work if the tank is below the sink? My tank is in the basement, and my kitchen sink/nearest outdoor faucet is at ground level.

Yes, I have tanks below the level of the sink and this DIY python works perfectly fine in those instances. Good question though.

can anyone tell me if this is much cheeper than just buying a python? cause i live in the U.S and could buy one but

1. I dont have a lot of money

2. I love DIY projects.

But it sounds like many have not had success so let me know what you all think i should do.

Well if you have a relatively clean garden hose that you already own then it's definately worth trying it... It's worked perfectly for me for the last 4 months or so. If you have a gravel vac and hose already then all you would need is the fitting and that should cost you less than $15. Pythons in the 50ft variety are $75 in the stores here.. Even if you don't have a clean hose a new 50 ft hose will cost less than $10. Just bring the fitting that comes off on the faucet and bring it into an ace hardware or something similar and let them know you need a garden hose adapter and a waterbed fill and drain kit. It's really easy to get all the pieces.

06152007091.jpg

can someone tell me if thats right or wrong? cause i thought i followed directions right but i didnt get a siphon. Filling the tank is easy i just shut off the other side so no water can go out but i cant get a siphon.

I was also told i didnt need a stop connector since the y connector had shut off things.

it would be greatly appreciated.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back