Hole-In-Head Parasite

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Festivae

Reaction score
This is my first question as a newbie! I have just returned my large Oscar to his 45 gal tank after a bout with hole-in-the-head. I used something called General Treatment and it worked well. He's healed and no new wounds. Is this diease ultimately fatal anyway? Festivae :(

It is absolutely fatal! The quality of water is the cause.

i disagree with frsh mike

the reason some 1 else has got a sick oscar from wot he said and others i used the info to find out what may be wrong leading to hole in the head

it is completly curable ...its caused thru dirty water bad water conditions so your tank is most likly high in nitrite
and another that im not sure on

but by cleaning the water daily and treating it yu can sort your water out
and you can treat your oscar with a treatment that will clear it up and should never come back

ill now get the link for you to the other thread i left info on should help you alot
ALSO THERE IS A LINK TO A RADIO CLIP ON HOLE IN THE HEAD TAKE A LISTEN FORM 6 MINS ON

Freshmike is right on the quality of water being the cause! If the water quality is poor, then fish will be more suseptible to any kinds of disease as their immunity lower. This is one of the main cause of HiTH, another being stress. It could b stress from competition with tankmates on territory, or tankmates compatibility, or fight for food etc.

There may b a protozoan parasite known as Hexamita present in the fish n the fish will b ok with a low level of it. With poor water quality and/or poor diet and/or stress, these will cause the onset on the infection.

There's possible cures if u discover it fast enough, but it's fatal in later stages...

HTH! :)

>>> i disagree with frsh mike

Eh? You say you disagree, then go on to say exactly the same thing he did! (which was correct by the way).

Oh n welcome to the forum! :hi:

I'm not sure about Oscars, but there's always a low level of Hexamita present in cichlids. Healthy cichlids won't be affected with it. So if the water quality's right n they r free from stress, the disease won't come back n vice versa!

Lateral Line said:
>>> i disagree with frsh mike

Eh? You say you disagree, then go on to say exactly the same thing he did! (which was correct by the way).
lol erm no i didnt if you BOTH read it care fully i disagreed with

i disagree with frsh mike

it is completly curable ...its caused thru dirty water bad water conditions so your tank is most likly high in nitrite
and another that im not sure on

It is absolutely fatal! (i disdagreed with this if you now disagree with this pls go to around 5 sites i been to email them stating there all wrong

he said it was COMPLETLT FATAL i disagreed with that
but agreed with the dirty water but i also added what may be wrong with the water
he just added dirty water
i was saying hole in the head is curable

but by cleaning the water daily and treating it yu can sort your water out
and you can treat your oscar with a treatment that will clear it up and should never come back

please read posts properly befor makin a comment like that
your trying to make out what i said was wrong

when i had just 10 mins befor seeing the post spent 1 half hours reading about hole in the head lol and tok it exactly form context i read

i hope you also listen to the station

SO fresh mike is wrong they do recover and it will go completly

Is this diease ultimately fatal anyway?
no it isnt
8. I have been told that Hole in the Head is caused by a combination of flagellated protozoans and bacteria. Flagyl is a treatment for flagellated protozoans, and Chloramphenicol is a powerful antibiotic.

I am sorry I misunderstood......if treated, no it is not......but like the others said....heh heh, that'll teach me to read a little more carefully!

Thanks to everyone who replied to my Hole-In-The-Head question. I have done a major water change. I will cease to use the bottled spring water..but my municipal water is loaded with chemicals, which I can treat with various commercial potions! This is the greatest list! Thanks again. Festivae

Well here's the next chapter in my HIH horror story!! My pride and joy a beautiful full bodied "Cichlasoma salvini"* S. American chiclid has "IT", not serious but obviously there. I cross contaminated these two tanks when I used the same algae scourer on them. Also, someone mentioned stress as a factor in hole in the head disease, these two fish the chiclid and the Oscar are in ajacent tanks and HATE! each other. The older they get the more aggresive they become. They both measure 9 inches from nose to tip of tail. My friends are surprised by the "dirty water" diagnosis, but perhaps I didn't vacuum or change as often as I should have. I'm off to dive into a ANOTHER 45 gallon disaster! :*) Festivae

Perhaps u can try putting something like a background on the side of the tank to stop them seeing each other?

Edit: Silly me, I found out Oscars r actually a kind of cichlid!! :lol: :lol: :lol: And btw, ur fishies r huge!! :hyper:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back